Sep 10, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
Peavy, one year removed from shoulder surgery, acknowledged after an outing late last month that his body felt “run down.” The 30-year-old threw just 101 2/3 innings in 2009 and 107 innings in 2010.
He was up to 111 2/3 innings here in 2011.
The White Sox have not announced a replacement, but Merkin believes they might be leaning toward 26-year-old Dylan Axelrod, who posted a 2.69 ERA and 132/25 K/BB ratio in 150 2/3 frames this year between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte.
Peavy registered a 4.92 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 95/24 K/BB ratio across 19 appearances (18 starts) this season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)