Sep 10, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
Peavy, one year removed from shoulder surgery, acknowledged after an outing late last month that his body felt “run down.” The 30-year-old threw just 101 2/3 innings in 2009 and 107 innings in 2010.
He was up to 111 2/3 innings here in 2011.
The White Sox have not announced a replacement, but Merkin believes they might be leaning toward 26-year-old Dylan Axelrod, who posted a 2.69 ERA and 132/25 K/BB ratio in 150 2/3 frames this year between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte.
Peavy registered a 4.92 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 95/24 K/BB ratio across 19 appearances (18 starts) this season.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 41
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106