Sep 10, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
Peavy, one year removed from shoulder surgery, acknowledged after an outing late last month that his body felt “run down.” The 30-year-old threw just 101 2/3 innings in 2009 and 107 innings in 2010.
He was up to 111 2/3 innings here in 2011.
The White Sox have not announced a replacement, but Merkin believes they might be leaning toward 26-year-old Dylan Axelrod, who posted a 2.69 ERA and 132/25 K/BB ratio in 150 2/3 frames this year between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte.
Peavy registered a 4.92 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 95/24 K/BB ratio across 19 appearances (18 starts) this season.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 12
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)