Sep 10, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
Peavy, one year removed from shoulder surgery, acknowledged after an outing late last month that his body felt “run down.” The 30-year-old threw just 101 2/3 innings in 2009 and 107 innings in 2010.
He was up to 111 2/3 innings here in 2011.
The White Sox have not announced a replacement, but Merkin believes they might be leaning toward 26-year-old Dylan Axelrod, who posted a 2.69 ERA and 132/25 K/BB ratio in 150 2/3 frames this year between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte.
Peavy registered a 4.92 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 95/24 K/BB ratio across 19 appearances (18 starts) this season.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8