Sep 10, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
Peavy, one year removed from shoulder surgery, acknowledged after an outing late last month that his body felt “run down.” The 30-year-old threw just 101 2/3 innings in 2009 and 107 innings in 2010.
He was up to 111 2/3 innings here in 2011.
The White Sox have not announced a replacement, but Merkin believes they might be leaning toward 26-year-old Dylan Axelrod, who posted a 2.69 ERA and 132/25 K/BB ratio in 150 2/3 frames this year between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte.
Peavy registered a 4.92 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 95/24 K/BB ratio across 19 appearances (18 starts) this season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)