Jeff Francoeur continues to play dazzling defense

Sep 10, 2011, 10:10 AM EDT

Francoeur catch.bmp

I checked with my parole officer and it seems that I still have several hours of Jeff Francoeur-related restitution and community service before I’m off the hook, so here goes:

Francoeur made two astounding plays in last night’s Mariners-Royals game. Both plays came off the bat of Dustin Ackley too, which makes me think that Francoeur is Arthur Dent to Ackley’s Agrajag, but we can leave that conversation for another time.

Both plays can be seen here. In the first one he scaled the wall and robbed Ackley of a home run in the third inning. The umps may have actually robbed Ackley of a home run too, as the ball seemed to richochet off a fan’s glove before Francoeur got it, which should have made it a homer, but let’s not take too much away from the Flyin’ Francoeur.

The very next inning Ackley hit another shot to right — this one a liner that could have been extra bases — but Franceour leaped and snagged it too.  I couldn’t see enough of the play to tell if it was a great read and react by Francoeur or if the leap was necessitated by a late break or bad route or something, but I suspect it was the former. Either way, he took what should have been a hit away from Ackley.

Mariners won, though, so I suppose Ackely will learn to live with it.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Phillies fans would have snagged that ball before Frenchy could and it would have been perfectly legal since he was reaching over the fence. Weak, Seattle. Really weak.

• kiwicricket - Sep 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Two bad A.L teams…fielding, yet you still manage to bring up Philly in some shape or form. Amazing.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 10, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Yeah, I really hijacked the thread from all those Seattle fans who wanted to comment on it, didn’t I? Seriously dude?

• paperlions - Sep 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I thought it was well played. Fun, for being Philly-centric, but also 100% true.

• marinersnate - Sep 10, 2011 at 1:51 PM

“Yeah, I really hijacked the thread from all those Seattle fans who wanted to comment on it, didn’t I?”

Well, since I seem to be 75% of all Mariners’ fans who regularly post here (I never did quite get this “new” math) I will say that you may have been a bit quick on the Phillies trigger. Let’s see: Post #1…. But since there are so few Phillie’s posts around these parts, we will forgive. This time.

As for Francoeur’s over the wall grab, it definately hit a fans’ glove before he got to it. It was hard to see even in slow motion. Finally RSNW slowed it down to super slow-mo and you can definately see where the ball changed directions as it hit her glove.

Fun fact. This is the same fan who keeps track of Ichiro’s hits (her sign calls it the “Ichi-meter”) out in right field (her sign calls it “Area 51″ Ichiro’s #) on a little homemade cardboard thing. She is at every home game in the same seat. She obviously knows the rules. I would have thought that she would have yelled, screamed, jumped up and down, anything to call attention to the fact that the ball hit her glove first. Wedge could have then gone out and argued the call and at least got the umps to look at the replay.

As for Ackley, the kid is going to be a good 2B. Already hitting well for a rookie, his defense is study. Some thought his defense would be the problem, and that while he could hit he would have a tough time sticking at 2B and would have to move to a corner. It looks like the M’s have found their 2B which reduces their roster conserns to only about 21 or 22.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Then the Phillies fans would have chucked batteries at Francouer while booing his mother for the rest of the game just to teach him not to even THINK about playing baseball on the same field as the Phillies ever again. Because that’s what classy Phans do

• jamie54 - Sep 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Hey, dimwit, no one gives a crap what a Philly fan would or would not have done. Two great catches, so just shut up. No one cares what you think about it anyway.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 10, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Sorry troll. Won’t let it happen again. No go get your f’ing shine box.

2. Francisco (FC) - Sep 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM

It did hit the fan’s glove but even without the fan Frenchy would have made the play.

3. cur68 - Sep 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Good to see you’re letting go of your anger Craig. Or, as Carlo would say, “Angry, you’ve been…” Now you’ve got some work to do on the subject of Aquaman, don’t you?

4. dlevalley - Sep 10, 2011 at 11:58 AM

That over-the-wall catch was the best I’ve seen all year. The bar (most people were only casually watching the game before) went completely silent.

5. tacklemeelmo - Sep 10, 2011 at 12:26 PM

You can tell behind that smile he’s thinking “Craig can’t rip me for this one!”

6. bcopus - Sep 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I don’t understand why fans want a ball so bad. Go buy one. There’s nothing special about it. I mean…it’s a Mariners-Royals ball in the latter half of horrible seasons for both of them. It’s worth $1.50. This is why people’s houses are packed to the gills with useless crap.

7. aceshigh11 - Sep 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Is the coolness factor negated by the fact that he’s playing for the Royals?

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM

You could argue that Francouer is the MVP, because without him, who would be even talking about the Royals this year? that is value added right there…

9. royalsfaninfargo - Sep 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Sorry Craig but I am officially on the Frenchy Bandwagon. There’s room for plenty of others on here!

10. mplsjoe - Sep 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I’d like to point out that there’s no such thing as a gratuitous Hitchhiker’s Guide reference (even though no one said there was). OK, a Life, the Universe reference.

11. leftywildcat - Sep 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Don’t forget his claim to fame for hitting into a game-ending unassisted triple play while playing for the Mets against the Phillies a couple of years ago.

12. natstowngreg - Sep 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Nice Hitch-Hikers Guide reference.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3214)