Sep 10, 2011, 10:10 AM EST
I checked with my parole officer and it seems that I still have several hours of Jeff Francoeur-related restitution and community service before I’m off the hook, so here goes:
Francoeur made two astounding plays in last night’s Mariners-Royals game. Both plays came off the bat of Dustin Ackley too, which makes me think that Francoeur is Arthur Dent to Ackley’s Agrajag, but we can leave that conversation for another time.
Both plays can be seen here. In the first one he scaled the wall and robbed Ackley of a home run in the third inning. The umps may have actually robbed Ackley of a home run too, as the ball seemed to richochet off a fan’s glove before Francoeur got it, which should have made it a homer, but let’s not take too much away from the Flyin’ Francoeur.
The very next inning Ackley hit another shot to right — this one a liner that could have been extra bases — but Franceour leaped and snagged it too. I couldn’t see enough of the play to tell if it was a great read and react by Francoeur or if the leap was necessitated by a late break or bad route or something, but I suspect it was the former. Either way, he took what should have been a hit away from Ackley.
Mariners won, though, so I suppose Ackely will learn to live with it.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)