UPDATE: Kevin Youkilis has bursitis

Sep 10, 2011, 6:17 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox Kevin Youkilis bats against the Minnesota Twins during the seventh inning of their MLB American League baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston

UPDATE: After last night’s game, Terry Francona said that Youkilis has bursitis and received a cortisone shot. It has not been determined if Youkilis will rejoin the team Saturday or wait in Boston for the start of a homestand that begins Tuesday.

Friday, 4:40 PMKevin Youkilis has reportedly left the Red Sox in order to head back to Boston for an MRI on his hip. There haven’t been any reports regarding what he did to it. At least from what we have seen anyway. But I suppose it’s good news that it’s not his back, which has given him a lot of trouble this year.

Or maybe it is. Heck, what’s worse: two bad body parts or one really, really bad body part. An interesting intellectual question. At least if they’re not your body parts.

1. robertterwilliger - Sep 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

*is a red sox fan*

*loads gun*

• proudlycanadian - Sep 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

The Red Sox were very unlikely to make the World Series anyways.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I’m not sure Youk makes or breaks their chances. I’m sure he’ll get it together by playoffs time anyway.

2. basiltharat - Sep 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Question for Red Sox fans: Is there still skepticism about the team’s medical staff? I remember them taking a lot of heat last year; haven’t noticed so much this year but it might have slipped under my radar.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Ah! See my post below.

It has been brought up by fans…not sure if the Boston media has ever looked into it…if they made a fuss, that would probably compel the organization to look into it.

Personally, I’m suspicious.

• basiltharat - Sep 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Thanks! Yeah, “way too many injuries” is exactly what I was thinking. (It’s particularly noticeable to me as a St. Pete resident; the Rays have done a pretty phenomenal job keeping their players healthy.) Seems odd that a team as progressive and well-funded as the Red Sox might have a subpar medical staff.

• Glenn - Sep 10, 2011 at 9:52 AM

How much preventative medicine can be done by doctors for sports injuries? I understand that injuries can be treated improperly or misdiagnosed, but it seems like this is probably pretty uncommon. Injuries happen and sometimes a team gets more than its share.

• bigleagues - Sep 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I’ve seen Dr Gill a couple of times. He knows what he’s doing. His team is also the medical staff for the Patriots and I haven’t seen any complaints coming out of there.

He diagnosed an inflamed tendon in my shoulder in about 2 minutes. Placed his thumb right on it. Shot of cortisone and I was good to go.

(Vacation I is on HBO as I type this . . . the pool scene. 30 years later and I haven’t tired of Cristy Brinkley or Beverly DeAngelo in the shower).

What’s everyone’s hottest Audrey, BTW? Vegas Vacation Audrey for me. No debate.

• cur68 - Sep 10, 2011 at 1:54 AM

I always kind of liked Juliette Lewis in Christmas Vacation.

3. aceshigh11 - Sep 9, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Well, that sucks.

The Sox organization needs to do a thorough audit of their trainers and conditioners, and their respective programs.

There have been WAY TOO MANY injuries to Sox players over the past two years. I feel like there has to be more to this than a coincidence.

Are they not being conditioned and warmed up properly? Are Dave Magadan and Curt Young doing their jobs properly?

Something just ain’t right.

• cur68 - Sep 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Keep in mind it takes 2 to tango here. Trainers and medical staff can only recommend. Remember the Challenger disaster? The experts who built and maintained the shuttle said, “Don’t fly. We’re not sure this will work out.” Their bosses said “You’re not sure anything bad will happen so we fly.” Boom. Medical advice’s effectiveness is made up of the quality of people giving it & those listening to it.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Very true.

Dice-K is a classic example of someone who didn’t follow the training regimen given to him.

I would think he was an outlier, though. Who knows? Good points, though.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM

NO MATTER WHO WINS THE WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR, PIE SHALL ALWAYS REMAIN THE CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!

• proudlycanadian - Sep 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM

CAKE!

• cur68 - Sep 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Close the pie hole there pie-boy. Your pie-breath is repulsive. Regardless of how many capital letters I type in, we all know cake is vastly superior to pie. Vastly. Cake is jessica Alba. . .mmm, Jessica . . . & pie is, well, urk, Rosie O’Donnel *shudders*. Which one would you rather have on a plate, hmmm? The only thing better than cake is cake with ice cream. Cake with ice cream is Jessica and Minka on the same plate. Now if you’ll excuse me something’s come up and I must go attend to it….

5. bigleagues - Sep 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I had an out patient procedure done this afternoon at MGH (I am, in fact, typing this on the train ride home).

Everyone in New England knows the Red Sox are on the road.

So imagine how perplexed I was as I walked onto Cambridge Street, and very nearly the first person I saw was . . . Youk. It was roughly 3:45 PM.

I actually thought it was a doppelganger. But, he was exiting the building where team doctor Thomas Gill’s practice is, so I was sure I wasn’t losing it.

Sure enough thanks to the wonder of smartphones, I Google Newsed “Youkilis” and Gordon Edes had reported 30 minutes earlier that he believed Youk was back in Boston (though he wasn’t sure for what at that point

He was wearing a non-descript shirt, jeans and a low slung baseball cap (not a Sox cap, of course). Honestly, I think I was the only person that recognized him at that point. But then I had seen him play an awful lot up close in AA.

6. urteamsux52 - Sep 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM

yes another injury to the red sox great day go RAYS

• aceshigh11 - Sep 10, 2011 at 3:56 AM

Praying for injuries to key players to your opposing teams isn’t really a winning strategy, nor is it particularly humane.

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2011 at 1:49 AM

There’s a “reply” to you dow at the bottom there aces, but I wouldn’t bother with it. I think you’re in communication with either an 8 year old or someone off their head. Or both. Jeez.

7. ditto65 - Sep 10, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Is bursitis contagious?

8. urteamsux52 - Sep 10, 2011 at 9:10 PM

acehigh or whatever yourname is am not humane nor give a bleep f the sox your whole town deserves heartbreak and hope the worse for you all GO RAYS boston doent know what a bj is cause their girl are ugly so a bj is only when they get it from a tampa chick cauae bj will hit a homer against ya dumb son of a blank from boston low lives

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2011 at 1:50 AM

jeeeeez laweeeezzzz…that ^^ is pretty cringe-worthy, no?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3836)