Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Sep 10, 2011, 6:30 AM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Images Getty Images

It’s gonna be really interesting if the Rays sweep the Red Sox and make a genuine wild card race in the American League. And by “interesting” I mean “totally hilarious for everyone who isn’t a Red Sox fan.”  And no one — but no one — will feel more uncomfortable about it than Carl Crawford.

In other news, the Cardinals beat the Braves. If that led to a real wild card race in the National League, no, that would not be funny. Totally different thing, I assure you. Comedy just doesn’t apply across the board like that. I’m sure you understand.

Anyway, here’s what went down while you were at the high school football game:

Rays 7, Red Sox 2

Angels 2, Yankees 1

Reds 4, Rockies 1

Diamondbacks 3, Padres 2

Mariners 7, Royals 3

Dodgers 2, Giants 1

1. crankyfrankie - Sep 10, 2011 at 7:28 AM

For those of you scoring at home, or even if you are alone, the Phillies magic number is nine. I was astonished to find out this morning that the Braves lost in extra when they had a lead in the ninth with their bullpen.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 10, 2011 at 7:29 AM

What high school football game? I was watching baseball and Guthrie decided to pitch well for a change and the Jays lost by 2 to 0. I was very encouraged by the perfect 9th inning pitched by Drabek. The Jays need a closer next year and Drabek might just be the answer.

• Mark - Sep 10, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Drabek is only the answer if every other reliever breaks their throwing arm and the rotation is filled by Sabathia, Romero, a healthy McGowan, a Morrow who can actually strand runners, and a trade for Clayton Kershaw (because, hey, why not right?).

If Drabek figures it out the worst thing you could do is stash him in the bullpen. Absolute worst thing you could do. Say it with me now, Drabek is a starter. Not a 60 inning reliever.

• cur68 - Sep 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Drabek as closer might not be a bad idea. He’s lights out for 2 maybe 3 innings than gets creamed. If he can learn 2 more pitches and command them he has a shot at starting, but right now, with his limited effective arsenal, he’s got more of a shot at closer. Rivera couldn’t make it as a starter, and pitched out of the pen from as young, and he’s the gold standard for closers.

Other teams use guys as nearly as young as Drabek as closers (Rangers, Braves) and set up men (BoSox started Bard, converted him to the pen by the time he was 22 and there he’s stayed). Heck, even Papelbon was in the bullpen by the time he was in his mid 20’s.

The thing about those teams? They get a lead, they keep it and the slam the door in the face of the oppo in the 9th; exactly what the Beaver Wranglers are lousiest at (disingenuous; they’re lousy at other things too, but this one really bugs me. Still expect Ward/Henke I guess). You can tell they do this by the fact they are going to the post season again and the Beaver Boys are picking up their beaver wrestling tools and heading for the lodge come the post season again.

• Mark - Sep 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Drabek was never really lights out for any innings because he walked every other hitter lol.

Bard/Rivera/Papelbon generally only had 1-2 dominant pitches which is why they couldn’t cut it as a SP. Plus Papelbon had the shoudler issue earlier in his career.

Drabek has none of those issues, and 3-4 pitches. I get what you’re saying, but he’s not the right guy to convert to closer.

• cur68 - Sep 10, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Its his command & control that’s the problem, not if he has the pitches. Anyways, truth be told I’d rather he was a starter but, as you know, I’ve been gnashing my teeth all season about the lack of decent closer (lookin at you Frank Francisco & Jon Rauch, grrrrrrr). At this point if Drabek can get outs, 7th inning or later, I’ll friggin take it over a starter (kind of a cut off my nose to spite my face scenario, if you will). For next season, I sure hope they get Heath Bell or someone similar. The win differential on Bell compared to what they have been doing, sees them right past the Rays and staring down the Red Sox for WC, since some of their late innings collapses have been against the Sox and Rays.

Meanwhile, pretty good game today, eh? Kevin Gregg was Kevin Gregg and the Beaver Boys made a come back in the late innings against someone’s closer. Turn about is fair play, right?

• Mark - Sep 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM

A very nice comeback. Lawrie let himself get out so someone else could be the hero, which is quite noble of him. He had faith in the team. Even better to see Bautista hit that bomb.

I’m with you on finding a RP, but I feel like the Jays need to get a few good starters. The more innings they pitch, the less I have to see from the bullpen. My faith in Morrow is dropping with every start. I only feel confident with Romero or Alvarez starting. I feel like Janssen’s a pretty legit late inning option, so if they could get another LOOGY (which really shouldn’t be TOO hard to find) and RH arm or two, they’ll be set.

Whether that’s Carreno, another minor leaguer (not Drabek :)) or a FA is another story.

3. kiwicricket - Sep 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Sorry, but I missed this from the other day…

• kiwicricket – Sep 7, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    “HB- No need to stress. He was just kidding. Don’t worry about what other people are posting, as it only seems to get you into trouble. Enjoy the game, and the articles.”

• halladaysbiceps – Sep 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    “kiwi, see my comment above to your unwarranted response. You are a fucking moron. Let me repeat that if you didn’t read that the first time. You are a fucking moron. Got it? Did I insult you enough to chase you away? At least I didn’t trash your city, like Comman Man did to the city of Philadelphia with his bullshit comment. I expect to not hear from either of you losers anymore.
    And don’t try to cry/tweet Craig for my profanity, because there is a lot of profanity that slides on this site.”

-No cept’s, I plan on posting it so people can see/confirm/remember what an offensive,obnoxious dick you are.

Never once have I replied to one of your comments in a rude manner, and you post something like that about me? Charming.

• hittfamily - Sep 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM

The Common Man still owes me a dollar.

….. Moreover, if you can successfully prove that Gaetti and Ripken were similar hitters, I will give you a dollar. Nevertheless, there are hundreds of players who had seasons (even multiple seasons) better than HOFers in their worst seasons. But the sustained excellence of a Ripken or a Gwynn, or a Brett or a Boggs, is what separates them from the Carlos Baergas and Edgardo Alfonzos.

hittfamily – Jun 16, 2011 at 2:40 AM

@The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com
      I am a day late, but you will be a dollar short.

Here is Gary Gaetti’s career numbers adjusted for 162 games. .255 ave, 23 hr, 87 rbi, .741 ops
      Here are Cal’s career numbers adjusted for 162 games .276 ave, 23 hr, 91 rbi, .788 ops

not only are their offensive stats comparible, they are almost the exact same thing.

• paperlions - Sep 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM

No, they are not….47 pts of ops over a career is all kinds of a huge difference….especially because most of it is OBP. Gaetti had a .308 career OBP, which is horrible.

No one owes you a dollar.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

You took everything out of context. You got in the middle of me and the Common Man’s dispute. He trashed my city with an off-color remark, you defended him and called my response to him derogatory (not that the Comman Man’s weren’t, of course), and I responded by calling you a moron.

For anyone interested, here’s the FULL thread: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/07/phillies-protest-of-sundays-loss-to-the-marlins-denied/

• paperlions - Sep 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I agree, calling someone a fucking moron can be perfectly justified in the proper context. For example, in response to just about any of your posts.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM

paper,

I said nothing to you at all. This is between me and the Common Man. Don’t start stuff, which you are trying to do.

• paperlions - Sep 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Just entertaining myself, sorry to interrupt your private conversation here in a public forum. Carry on.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM

paper, Stick to baseball. That’s what I intend to do. I’m so tired of these jealous haters out there of the Phillies that have nothing else to criticise with my team because they are so good and now have to resort to tactics like making fun of Philadelphia or trying to get under my skin, because they know I will repond and get a rise out of me. That’s what this crap boils down to.

4. yankeesfanlen - Sep 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Here, at seemingly the most opportunistic time during the season to put some distance in the pennant race, and the bats go flat. Colon puts in a great 7- nothing from it. Weaver, for various reasons, has been faltering a bit lately – only Jesus “on the loose” can get anything.
    ARod, Tex, Grandy- get going!!!! Hoping ARod doesn’t put his”left alone” get in jeopardy.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM

No kidding. The Sox suck so badly right now, you should be at least 5-6 games up on us.

As Alec Baldwin said in Glengarry Glen Ross, “I’d wish (the Red Sox) good luck, but (they) wouldn’t know what to do with it if (they) had it.”

5. cur68 - Sep 10, 2011 at 11:24 AM

A flat offensive night from the Beaver Men. The encouraging thing was a gem from Brett Cecil. At best that was 1 run scored, not 2. An error kept him in that inning (Johnson airmailed one into the seats over Lind’s head; 1 out instead of a GDP). Cecil seems to have decided to pitch like Romero: sky hook curve, highfastball away, changeup aaaaaand repeat. He did real well. Guthrie was just dealing. Seems wearing Mike Flanagan’s old number 46 as lit a fire under his a$$. Good. About time he showed what he could do.

• Old Gator - Sep 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I was wandering up and down Queen Street West, King Street West and College Street in Toronto yesterday, filled my belly with aphrodaisical cabbage borscht and a grilled vorsht and chopped liver on rye at Caplansky’s Deli while chatting amiably on the streetside patio with a fine, fine specimen of the species Castor canadensis waitressei (a species of which Toronto is possessed of in incredible number of fine fine specimens – damned shame you can only get that good a look at them for about three months out of the year before their winter pelts return). Sitting in the airport now contemplating the astonishing number of pairs of beautiful legs and the unencumbered will to wear tight shorts or abbreviated skirts that go with them in this town. It may be that the sun shines with authority so rarely that when it does, it is celebrated with revivifying vivacity. Whatever. Back to the tropical heat and humidity now, where at least I won’t have so many bicyclists to dodge. Toronto’s always a treat to visit.

• cur68 - Sep 10, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Well now I want to go visit Toronto, STAT. Glad you had a good time. Sounds like the weather and gastronomy agrees with you, Gator. Equally glad to hear someone enjoying their life, time among the fairer of us and appreciating it all unfettered of old arguments and disagreement. Wish there was more of that round here today. Fortunately Craig’s in fine form; he’s even posted a positive article on Frenchy, and rightly so. All we await is an abject apology to Aquaman and the world will return to its proper orbit.

I hope you’ve heard from Len and The Rabbit. Games are afoot and you and that ridiculous deer stalker, pipe, trench coat combo might be interested in some of them.

• chadjones27 - Sep 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Old Gator makes words pretty

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Cur: back home in the tropics now. Man, did I ever enjoy that few days in the 70-degree range. I had a great little rental car with a terrific stereo too. But, uh, what’s a kilometer?

This morning, incidentally, I followed up on a minor literary conundrum. One of my favorite novelists/fictionist/food critics (not that there’s a lot of those) is the great Jim Harrison, and one of his great creations is the snafu-prone, beaver-chasing halfbreed Cherokee named Brown Dog. In his most recent book, The Farmer’s Daughter, Harrison has Brown Dog – on the lam, as usual – meeting a contact for a safe house at Yitz’s deli on the north side of Toronto. His description of the smoked meat sandwich at Yitz’s definitely intrigued me, so when I hit town on Thursday the first thing I did was check out that ancient Celtic mystery volume, the Book of Foan, Yep, it’s a real place, just off the corner of Eglinton and Bayview. So I made a beeline for it this morning, early, with a few hours to kill before my flight. Had the vorsht and eggs, toasted wholegrain bagel, a pickled herring with sour cream appetizer and some really, really good coffee. Took an epic smoked meat sandwich (the word “pastrami” seems to have been waylaid at one of the border crossings) with me to munch on the plane. Good move. Trust Jim Harrison unquestioningly when he recommends something to eat. Pretty multicultural for a kosher-style deli: they had a Pakistani waiter, a Filipino floor manager and two Chinese deli counter cooks. Jews? Not that I could find, but someone definitely taught them to cook like Jews. Of course, archaeologists of the future will know they’re digging up a Jewish neighborhood when they find the little wire handles from the lobster Cantonese leftover takeout containers, but I was having too much fun scarfing the grilled vorsht and eggs to think about that.

Only problem: Yitz’s is short on beaver, which Caplansky’s is definitely not. Big difference between College Street and Eglinton Avenue that way.

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Hey Gator, get in contact with Len. He has my email address. We need to organize some stuff.

6. APBA Guy - Sep 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM

The A’s were pummeled by Texas’ “A-” team last night, meaning their outfield lacked Hamilton and Cruz. Still they managed 13 runs thanks to the A’s lack of defense and amazing imploding bullpen. The Rangers aren’t acting like it’s still close, but the Angels are. Weaver was Cy Youngish against the Yanks, who probably didn’t appreciate the effort, but as I said yesterday, the Angels have to close to within 1 game by the final season series against the Rangers.

• cur68 - Sep 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Saw the Angels/Yankees play the 9th last night APBA. A gem. I love close games and I love close games in the 9th.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3104)