Yankees promote pitching prospect Dellin Betances

Sep 10, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT

betances gety Getty Images

Dellin Betances isn’t going to see much action with the Yankees over the final couple weeks of the regular season. And when he is called on to pitch it will likely be in low-pressure relief situations. But he was officially promoted to the major leagues on Saturday and is ecstatic to be wearing pinstripes.

The 23-year-old right-hander told Chad Jennings of The Journal News this afternoon that he shared a 10-minute game of catch with his older brother in front of their New Jersey childhood home when he first got word that he was being promoted.

“Just 10 minutes,” Dellin said. “Just regular catch, and then he squatted down for a little flat ground. After that, just showered and got ready to come here. … I grew up in New York. Born in New York and raised, and being a Yankee fan to now coming here and wearing the uniform is a great, great feeling. … When they called my name I didn’t believe it, and I still can’t believe I’m here. Maybe when I go out on the field it will hit me.”

The 6-foot-8 Betances posted a 3.70 ERA and struck out 142 batters in 126 1/3 innings this season between Double-A and Triple-A. Baseball America ranked him 43rd in their Top 100 prospect rankings last winter.

1. jetersusedjersey - Sep 10, 2011 at 4:02 PM

The future of the Yankeees my friends!

• proudlycanadian - Sep 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM

There have been several highly rated Yankee pitching prospects who have not panned out (you know their names) so if this guy is the future, do not be so sure that it is a bright future.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 10, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Wow prospects may not pan out, tell us more o Nostradamus!

• Kevin S. - Sep 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang worked out fine, as did IPK with Arizona. Joba was mishandled, and Hughes is hardly a lock to never ever improve.

• bozosforall - Sep 11, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Worry about your own team, proudly gaynadian

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM

nobody has a worse track record with prospects then the bluegays, Drabeck? Snyder? Perez? Just to name a few of the recent ones but we both know i can go on and on and on

2. kinggeorge96 - Sep 10, 2011 at 10:07 PM

unfortunately, a lot of times the future you speak of winds up being with another team…

3. hittfamily - Sep 11, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Low pressure situations? Possibly. I also think of David Price becoming the Rays closer for the playoffs in 08 a few weeks after being called up. So, if he pitches well anything is possible.

• ftbramwell - Sep 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Except for Betances becoming the Yankees closer during the playoffs. Last time I checked, they have someone that’s pretty good in that slot.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey