Sep 10, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Dellin Betances isn’t going to see much action with the Yankees over the final couple weeks of the regular season. And when he is called on to pitch it will likely be in low-pressure relief situations. But he was officially promoted to the major leagues on Saturday and is ecstatic to be wearing pinstripes.
The 23-year-old right-hander told Chad Jennings of The Journal News this afternoon that he shared a 10-minute game of catch with his older brother in front of their New Jersey childhood home when he first got word that he was being promoted.
“Just 10 minutes,” Dellin said. “Just regular catch, and then he squatted down for a little flat ground. After that, just showered and got ready to come here. … I grew up in New York. Born in New York and raised, and being a Yankee fan to now coming here and wearing the uniform is a great, great feeling. … When they called my name I didn’t believe it, and I still can’t believe I’m here. Maybe when I go out on the field it will hit me.”
The 6-foot-8 Betances posted a 3.70 ERA and struck out 142 batters in 126 1/3 innings this season between Double-A and Triple-A. Baseball America ranked him 43rd in their Top 100 prospect rankings last winter.
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 31
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 56
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 39
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings