Sep 10, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Dellin Betances isn’t going to see much action with the Yankees over the final couple weeks of the regular season. And when he is called on to pitch it will likely be in low-pressure relief situations. But he was officially promoted to the major leagues on Saturday and is ecstatic to be wearing pinstripes.
The 23-year-old right-hander told Chad Jennings of The Journal News this afternoon that he shared a 10-minute game of catch with his older brother in front of their New Jersey childhood home when he first got word that he was being promoted.
“Just 10 minutes,” Dellin said. “Just regular catch, and then he squatted down for a little flat ground. After that, just showered and got ready to come here. … I grew up in New York. Born in New York and raised, and being a Yankee fan to now coming here and wearing the uniform is a great, great feeling. … When they called my name I didn’t believe it, and I still can’t believe I’m here. Maybe when I go out on the field it will hit me.”
The 6-foot-8 Betances posted a 3.70 ERA and struck out 142 batters in 126 1/3 innings this season between Double-A and Triple-A. Baseball America ranked him 43rd in their Top 100 prospect rankings last winter.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)