Kyle Farnsworth blows lead, has tender elbow

Sep 11, 2011, 9:08 AM EDT

farnsworth ap AP

Rays closer Kyle Farnsworth was handed the ball in the ninth inning Saturday night with a 5-3 lead over the visiting Red Sox. He retired the first batter he faced, Marco Scutaro, on a weak groundout.

But almost nothing went right from there.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jacoby Ellsbury hit back-to-back home runs to the right field seats at Tropicana Field, tying the game suddenly at 5-5.

Dustin Pedroia then doubled and Adrian Gonzalez drew a walk before Rays manager Joe Maddon decided to make a change at pitcher.

Evan Longoria eventually saved the day with a walkoff RBI single in extra innings, but the surging Rays may be without their battered closer for the next week or so.

It was Farnsworth’s second straight blown save opportunity, and he was diagnosed afterwards with tenderness in his throwing elbow. This according to Chris Girandola of MLB.com.

“It just never got loose,” Farnsowrth said. “I could never just finish my pitches. I tried to go out there and do the best I could, but I didn’t have my best stuff. It’s tough because I want to go out there and perform for my team, but I just have to take it day by day.”

The Rays have quietly fought their way back into the American League Wild Card mix and currently sit just 4 1/2 games back of the Red Sox. It’s not a great time for Farnsworth to suddenly fall to pieces.

1. yankeesfanlen - Sep 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Kyle Farnsworth Blows Lead = Dog Bites Man

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

= Kevin Gregg loses game.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Mission accomplished. Message sent by unidentifable courier with decoder ring.

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Is my morning coffee laced with heroin or do I detect that Grumpy was catching a game for The Universe? Must be good dope because it appears he threw out a guy stealing 2nd. At first I thought it was Torii Hunter which would have made this the equivalent of Stadler throwing out Waldorff but no, it was Kendrick. Yowza. He even got the ball to Cano on the fly. NIce work Grumpy.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Give him a Segway and he can run the bases, too! And no one was happier than Beep-beep, he brought out his scrapbook and called Mr. Torre. But now, they have to pry catchers equipment out of Grumpy’s cold, dead hands.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 11, 2011 at 12:56 PM

So do we get the 2nd coming behind the plate today? If so, who’s available for DH? Hope they got some rest, they’ve been snoozin’ at the plate.

2. pisano - Sep 11, 2011 at 10:27 AM

He has a great arm, but his ball is dead strait and without movement on the ball this was usually what happened to him.I’m surprised this kind of thing didn’t happen more to him.

3. yarguy - Sep 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM

On the contrary, this is a great time for Farnsworth to fall to pieces. Then Madden won’t be able to put him out there to set fire to things. The Rays are better with Farnsworth not pitching.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Got the sore elbow from lugging that 5 gallon gas can around. Finally got the cap off last night.

4. dailyrev - Sep 11, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Waiting for teams to start selling those Farnsworth-Gregg geek goggles (“make your CSS render purer; your C more ++-good* than ever — only $99.99!).
    __________

*doubleplus good. Read Orwell’s 1984 again. Sobering stuff.

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 11, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Farnsworth was not needed on Sunday. The Sox lost by 9 to 1.

• pisano - Sep 11, 2011 at 7:33 PM

That’s good news on both fronts.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2997)