Sep 11, 2011, 9:53 AM EDT
The Marlins acquired Infante in an offseason trade that sent Dan Uggla to the Braves and have been pleased with the upgrade that the 29-year-old has provided on defense. Uggla is up to 33 homers and boasts an improving .763 OPS this season for Wild Card-leading Atlanta, but he’s also owed $13 million annually through 2015. Infante, batting .277 this year with a .691 OPS, will come far, far cheaper.
Infante is earning $2.5 million this season via a club option. He’ll draw plenty of interest this winter on what looks to be a top-heavy free agent market, but the Fish should be able to make a competitive bid.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)