Sep 11, 2011, 9:53 AM EDT
The Marlins acquired Infante in an offseason trade that sent Dan Uggla to the Braves and have been pleased with the upgrade that the 29-year-old has provided on defense. Uggla is up to 33 homers and boasts an improving .763 OPS this season for Wild Card-leading Atlanta, but he’s also owed $13 million annually through 2015. Infante, batting .277 this year with a .691 OPS, will come far, far cheaper.
Infante is earning $2.5 million this season via a club option. He’ll draw plenty of interest this winter on what looks to be a top-heavy free agent market, but the Fish should be able to make a competitive bid.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 49
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)