Sep 11, 2011, 9:53 AM EDT
The Marlins acquired Infante in an offseason trade that sent Dan Uggla to the Braves and have been pleased with the upgrade that the 29-year-old has provided on defense. Uggla is up to 33 homers and boasts an improving .763 OPS this season for Wild Card-leading Atlanta, but he’s also owed $13 million annually through 2015. Infante, batting .277 this year with a .691 OPS, will come far, far cheaper.
Infante is earning $2.5 million this season via a club option. He’ll draw plenty of interest this winter on what looks to be a top-heavy free agent market, but the Fish should be able to make a competitive bid.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 7
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 133
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39