Sep 11, 2011, 9:53 AM EDT
The Marlins acquired Infante in an offseason trade that sent Dan Uggla to the Braves and have been pleased with the upgrade that the 29-year-old has provided on defense. Uggla is up to 33 homers and boasts an improving .763 OPS this season for Wild Card-leading Atlanta, but he’s also owed $13 million annually through 2015. Infante, batting .277 this year with a .691 OPS, will come far, far cheaper.
Infante is earning $2.5 million this season via a club option. He’ll draw plenty of interest this winter on what looks to be a top-heavy free agent market, but the Fish should be able to make a competitive bid.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)