Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Sep 11, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT

ground zero, Sept 11, 9/11 AP

It is September 11. On this date 10 years ago, I was in freshman-year study hall at Chaminade College Prep in St. Louis, Missouri, fighting for one of the few comfortable chairs in my high school library.

I wanted to take a nap. Or read a magazine. Or watch Sportscenter. I don’t quite remember.

Upperclassmen soon began streaming into the room, telling us freshmen to first “get the f@&k out of the padded chairs” and second to “put on the damn news.” A plane had accidentally struck one of the World Trade Center towers in New York City.

I remember being more confused than terrified as the tragedy played out on the television screen in front of us. I left the library after a few hours had passed and headed late to physics class. Our principal read us a prayer over the intercom around lunchtime before asking that all television sets be turned off. Every teacher in the school disobeyed. We all had questions. And I think we all felt affected. Neither of those has changed.

Your Saturday box scores:

Orioles 4, Blue Jays 5

Cubs 5, Mets 4

Indians 3, White Sox 7 (10 innings)

Reds 7, Rockies 12

Astros 9, Nationals 3

Twins 2, Tigers 3

Athletics 8, Rangers 7

Marlins 3, Pirates 0

Phillies 3, Brewers 2 (10 innings)

Braves 3, Cardinals 4

Red Sox 5, Rays 6 (11 innings)

Padres 5, Diamondbacks 6 (10 innings)

Yankees 0, Angels 6

Dodgers 3, Giants 0

Royals 4, Mariners 2

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 11, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Good old Kevin Gregg. We are glad that he is an ex Blue Jay; however, he is always welcome in Toronto as long as he is pitching for the other team. I am rooting for Tampa Bay against the Red Sox today. Baseball needs another pennant race.

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Its hard to win a game when your late inning relief throws the game away. Watched the Jay’s do it often enough this season. Heck, saw them do it twice in one game this season, always a treat. I do not miss KG. Not at all.

September 11, 10 years ago…what do I remember? Being in Australia. Melbourne. Seeing it unfold on TV. Hoping my cousin, who’s family manages some of the vending machine concessions a the WTC, wasn’t there that day (he wasn’t). Thinking that the deaths have only just started once it became clear that this was an act of war. What a waste of life.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I was at work as an intern (Caracas, Venezuela). Another friend of ours alerted us to the event and was surfing through the internet. Some news outlets had video. Everyone was like WTF? There was speculation on whether it was an accident or deliberate, about a short time later with the second hit, there was n doubt anymore. Work stopped until after lunch. Pretty crazy day.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I was between classes, opening my office for a couple of student appointments, and turned on the computer to check to see if any of my students had sent in their first paper rewrites of the semester – and there it was. The first plane had just recently hit; the tower was burning but no collapse yet. Everything on campus stopped dead. It was surreal but we had lunch with some colleagues over at PoliSci and History and talked about our foreign policy chickens coming home to roost. None of us thought Bush was nearly bright enough to handle it intelligently, and in retrospect none of us realized how right we would be proven to be. Ten catastrophic years of wasted resources, human and otherwise, an economy murdered in its sleep and hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi lives destroyed, the war we should have fought intensely but didn’t still dragging on interminably, a few Bush and Cheney cronies a few billion richer, the members an entire faith consisting mainly of people who came here for the same reasons as the Christian and Jewish forebears of their bigoted, clueless antagonists stigmatized and ostracized, and a country that’s had its profile in the world tarnished and diminished – probably for the better, as far as everyone else is concerned and maybe even ourselves – and it’s clear that 9/11 is a disaster from which he haven’t really learned much, one that continues to unfold. It’s premature to be “remembering” it.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM

OG…I wish I hadn’t come across your Bush-Bashing bullshit today of all days. Oh well, the sun rose, the sun will set, and Bush-Bashers will never cease spewing their hateful crap, even on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

God Bless You sir…and God Bless America.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Chris – what better day for it? Let me even things out a bit and affirm that it isn’t just about that dimwit Bush, who is already well enshrined as one of the chief pathetics of history. I still view the horrible Cheney as the prime mover in the ongoing disaster, as well as Congressional Democrats, who with few exceptions (as there were a few honorable exceptions as well among Republicans) were equally culpable and craven in joining the stampede to license our so-called leaders to lash out in exactly the most morally indefensible manner. Even setting aside for a moment what was clearly a rush to corrupt profits in Iraq, or even pretending for the sake of argument that Cheney, at the very least, was not well aware that Iraq had no part in the attacks, do you want to insist that we’re not still paying the price for our monstrous miscalculations? Or that we shoulder no moral responsibility for a (conservative estimate of) a quarter of a million innocent dead Iraqis and perhaps twice as many more maimed?

I mourn all of the innocent dead, those murdered by Al Queda, those many many thousands more murdered by us, and the many thousands more murdered by each other in the internecine conflicts our bungled response to the tragedy set off. None of them was endowed with a greater or lesser right to live than any of the others.

• The Baseball Idiot - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:46 AM

On the one day of the year when politics should never be involved, who had Old Gator to be the prick that can’t let it go?

2. crankyfrankie - Sep 11, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Phillies magic number is seven. Arizona’s magic number is eight. Tigers magic number is nine. Milwaukee’s magic number is 11 and Texas’s magic number is 16. At this rate everything could be decided by next weekend.

3. Old Gator - Sep 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The feesh’s magic number is 19 – the number of days until they can go home and try to forget this cratered season.

4. crankyfrankie - Sep 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Kind of confused is it me you don’t like. The fact that we have very little suspense in the races. Or is it math on a Sunday?

5. gldfngr38 - Sep 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Great post, Drew. However I have one thing to say:

U-HIGH U-High WHAT WHAT

• hotkarlsandwich - Sep 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM

D D D DeSmet!

• umrguy42 - Sep 11, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Karl, Spartan Pride! (Though I was in my third year of college 10 years ago…)

• Drew Silva - Sep 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM

C-World.

(The MCC is everywhere, isn’t it?)

6. phukyouk - Sep 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I was on my way to tower one 96th floor as I often did on tuesdays bakc then. as I left my house I got a call from my boss to go to a client (that I hated) in NJ. I sent that client a gift basket anonymously a few weeks later and went on to work for my boss for another yr while the company was failing and they could not afford to pay me that whole time.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka