Sep 11, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT
It is September 11. On this date 10 years ago, I was in freshman-year study hall at Chaminade College Prep in St. Louis, Missouri, fighting for one of the few comfortable chairs in my high school library.
I wanted to take a nap. Or read a magazine. Or watch Sportscenter. I don’t quite remember.
Upperclassmen soon began streaming into the room, telling us freshmen to first “get the f@&k out of the padded chairs” and second to “put on the damn news.” A plane had accidentally struck one of the World Trade Center towers in New York City.
I remember being more confused than terrified as the tragedy played out on the television screen in front of us. I left the library after a few hours had passed and headed late to physics class. Our principal read us a prayer over the intercom around lunchtime before asking that all television sets be turned off. Every teacher in the school disobeyed. We all had questions. And I think we all felt affected. Neither of those has changed.
Your Saturday box scores:
Indians 3, White Sox 7 (10 innings)
Phillies 3, Brewers 2 (10 innings)
Red Sox 5, Rays 6 (11 innings)
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 6 (10 innings)
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)