Sep 11, 2011, 8:16 AM EST
It is September 11. On this date 10 years ago, I was in freshman-year study hall at Chaminade College Prep in St. Louis, Missouri, fighting for one of the few comfortable chairs in my high school library.
I wanted to take a nap. Or read a magazine. Or watch Sportscenter. I don’t quite remember.
Upperclassmen soon began streaming into the room, telling us freshmen to first “get the f@&k out of the padded chairs” and second to “put on the damn news.” A plane had accidentally struck one of the World Trade Center towers in New York City.
I remember being more confused than terrified as the tragedy played out on the television screen in front of us. I left the library after a few hours had passed and headed late to physics class. Our principal read us a prayer over the intercom around lunchtime before asking that all television sets be turned off. Every teacher in the school disobeyed. We all had questions. And I think we all felt affected. Neither of those has changed.
Your Saturday box scores:
Indians 3, White Sox 7 (10 innings)
Phillies 3, Brewers 2 (10 innings)
Red Sox 5, Rays 6 (11 innings)
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 6 (10 innings)
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)