Sep 11, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT
It is September 11. On this date 10 years ago, I was in freshman-year study hall at Chaminade College Prep in St. Louis, Missouri, fighting for one of the few comfortable chairs in my high school library.
I wanted to take a nap. Or read a magazine. Or watch Sportscenter. I don’t quite remember.
Upperclassmen soon began streaming into the room, telling us freshmen to first “get the f@&k out of the padded chairs” and second to “put on the damn news.” A plane had accidentally struck one of the World Trade Center towers in New York City.
I remember being more confused than terrified as the tragedy played out on the television screen in front of us. I left the library after a few hours had passed and headed late to physics class. Our principal read us a prayer over the intercom around lunchtime before asking that all television sets be turned off. Every teacher in the school disobeyed. We all had questions. And I think we all felt affected. Neither of those has changed.
Your Saturday box scores:
Indians 3, White Sox 7 (10 innings)
Phillies 3, Brewers 2 (10 innings)
Red Sox 5, Rays 6 (11 innings)
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 6 (10 innings)
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)