Sep 12, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Last week the Dodgers ruled out Andre Ethier for the remainder of the season with a right knee injury and now Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that the outfielder will undergo arthroscopic surgery Wednesday.
According to Jackson “the recovery time is expected to be short enough that Ethier can still engage in something close to his normal offseason conditioning program in advance of next season.”
Ethier basically matched his career totals with a .292 batting average and .368 on-base percentage this season, but hit just 11 homers in 135 games for a career-low .421 slugging percentage and failed to top an .800 OPS for the first time. He’s under the Dodgers’ control for just one more season and figures to get around $11 million via the arbitration process, so Ethier trade rumors may be plentiful this winter.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 71
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 216
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (216)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)