Sep 12, 2011, 9:40 AM EST
The NFL started over the weekend, so that means that no one is paying attention to baseball anymore apart from us obsessives. Here’s the stuff the obsessives obsessed about:
- Jeremy Affeldt made $4.5 million this year and yet he can’t buy fresh beef?
- And really, Pete Orr should stay away from sausage.
- John Lackey is unsafe at any speed.
- Kevin Youkilis is falling apart.
- Jeff Francoeur, though, he’s all aces.
- Rod Allen could have done worse than call little people “midgets.” He could have worked in some references to the lollipop guild.
- How you know the Giants’ season is over.
- One of the Killer Bs has been called up. No, not Jim Brunzell.
- Jake Peavy may be providing evidence that — as crazy as it sounds — having a major muscle ripped from its moorings and then surgically re-attached is not conducive to pitching success.
- Pirates GM Neal Huntington has a new contract.
- Major League Baseball’s 9/11 moto: just forget it.
Let’s get into this week. A week in which we may actually have some wild card races heating up and stuff. How about that?
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)