Sep 12, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
The NFL started over the weekend, so that means that no one is paying attention to baseball anymore apart from us obsessives. Here’s the stuff the obsessives obsessed about:
- Jeremy Affeldt made $4.5 million this year and yet he can’t buy fresh beef?
- And really, Pete Orr should stay away from sausage.
- John Lackey is unsafe at any speed.
- Kevin Youkilis is falling apart.
- Jeff Francoeur, though, he’s all aces.
- Rod Allen could have done worse than call little people “midgets.” He could have worked in some references to the lollipop guild.
- How you know the Giants’ season is over.
- One of the Killer Bs has been called up. No, not Jim Brunzell.
- Jake Peavy may be providing evidence that — as crazy as it sounds — having a major muscle ripped from its moorings and then surgically re-attached is not conducive to pitching success.
- Pirates GM Neal Huntington has a new contract.
- Major League Baseball’s 9/11 moto: just forget it.
Let’s get into this week. A week in which we may actually have some wild card races heating up and stuff. How about that?
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)