Sep 12, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
The NFL started over the weekend, so that means that no one is paying attention to baseball anymore apart from us obsessives. Here’s the stuff the obsessives obsessed about:
- Jeremy Affeldt made $4.5 million this year and yet he can’t buy fresh beef?
- And really, Pete Orr should stay away from sausage.
- John Lackey is unsafe at any speed.
- Kevin Youkilis is falling apart.
- Jeff Francoeur, though, he’s all aces.
- Rod Allen could have done worse than call little people “midgets.” He could have worked in some references to the lollipop guild.
- How you know the Giants’ season is over.
- One of the Killer Bs has been called up. No, not Jim Brunzell.
- Jake Peavy may be providing evidence that — as crazy as it sounds — having a major muscle ripped from its moorings and then surgically re-attached is not conducive to pitching success.
- Pirates GM Neal Huntington has a new contract.
- Major League Baseball’s 9/11 moto: just forget it.
Let’s get into this week. A week in which we may actually have some wild card races heating up and stuff. How about that?
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)