Sep 12, 2011, 9:40 AM EST
The NFL started over the weekend, so that means that no one is paying attention to baseball anymore apart from us obsessives. Here’s the stuff the obsessives obsessed about:
- Jeremy Affeldt made $4.5 million this year and yet he can’t buy fresh beef?
- And really, Pete Orr should stay away from sausage.
- John Lackey is unsafe at any speed.
- Kevin Youkilis is falling apart.
- Jeff Francoeur, though, he’s all aces.
- Rod Allen could have done worse than call little people “midgets.” He could have worked in some references to the lollipop guild.
- How you know the Giants’ season is over.
- One of the Killer Bs has been called up. No, not Jim Brunzell.
- Jake Peavy may be providing evidence that — as crazy as it sounds — having a major muscle ripped from its moorings and then surgically re-attached is not conducive to pitching success.
- Pirates GM Neal Huntington has a new contract.
- Major League Baseball’s 9/11 moto: just forget it.
Let’s get into this week. A week in which we may actually have some wild card races heating up and stuff. How about that?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)