Sep 12, 2011, 5:18 PM EDT
Jon Rauch made his way back from an emergency appendectomy, but now the Blue Jays reliever has been shut down for the season with a knee injury.
Rauch was placed on the disabled list with torn cartilage in his right knee and is expected to eventually undergo surgery.
Rauch had an up-and-down season in Toronto, working as both a setup man and closer while throwing 52 innings with a 4.85 ERA that’s the worst of his career. He posted a decent 36/14 K/BB ratio, but Rauch served up 11 homers in just 225 plate appearances after giving up just three homers in 245 plate appearances for the Twins last year.
Toronto has a $3.75 million option or $250,000 buyout on Rauch for next season, but the free agent reliever market projects to be deep enough that declining figures to be their best move even if they wouldn’t mind having him back in 2012.
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 5
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 11
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)