Sep 12, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
I missed this yesterday, but something happened on Saturday night that hadn’t happened in nearly a year: Jorge Posada donned the tools of ignorance and caught a baseball game. This season he has been a DH, with a couple of spells at first base and one gimmicky one at second.
The reason he caught: emergency. Russell Martin caught a foul ball off his thumb and had to leave the game. This after the other catching option — Francisco Cervelli — was scratched due to concussion symptoms. There are apparently no plans whatsoever to allow Jesus Montero to catch even though he did so down in AAA all year.
So Posada it was. And he even threw out the only guy who tried to steal against him. Here’s hoping he doesn’t have to be used behind the plate again this year so he can keep up that 100% kill rate intact.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)