Sep 12, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
I missed this yesterday, but something happened on Saturday night that hadn’t happened in nearly a year: Jorge Posada donned the tools of ignorance and caught a baseball game. This season he has been a DH, with a couple of spells at first base and one gimmicky one at second.
The reason he caught: emergency. Russell Martin caught a foul ball off his thumb and had to leave the game. This after the other catching option — Francisco Cervelli — was scratched due to concussion symptoms. There are apparently no plans whatsoever to allow Jesus Montero to catch even though he did so down in AAA all year.
So Posada it was. And he even threw out the only guy who tried to steal against him. Here’s hoping he doesn’t have to be used behind the plate again this year so he can keep up that 100% kill rate intact.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)