Sep 12, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
I missed this yesterday, but something happened on Saturday night that hadn’t happened in nearly a year: Jorge Posada donned the tools of ignorance and caught a baseball game. This season he has been a DH, with a couple of spells at first base and one gimmicky one at second.
The reason he caught: emergency. Russell Martin caught a foul ball off his thumb and had to leave the game. This after the other catching option — Francisco Cervelli — was scratched due to concussion symptoms. There are apparently no plans whatsoever to allow Jesus Montero to catch even though he did so down in AAA all year.
So Posada it was. And he even threw out the only guy who tried to steal against him. Here’s hoping he doesn’t have to be used behind the plate again this year so he can keep up that 100% kill rate intact.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)