Jorge Posada actually caught a game

Sep 12, 2011, 11:00 AM EST

Jorge Posada

I missed this yesterday, but something happened on Saturday night that hadn’t happened in nearly a year: Jorge Posada donned the tools of ignorance and caught a baseball game.  This season he has been a DH, with a couple of spells at first base and one gimmicky one at second.

The reason he caught: emergency. Russell Martin caught a foul ball off his thumb and had to leave the game. This after the other catching option — Francisco Cervelli — was scratched due to concussion symptoms.  There are apparently no plans whatsoever to allow Jesus Montero to catch even though he did so down in AAA all year.

So Posada it was. And he even threw out the only guy who tried to steal against him.  Here’s hoping he doesn’t have to be used behind the plate again this year so he can keep up that 100% kill rate intact.

1. protectthishouse54 - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:05 AM

It should be noted that Montero was the DH, and moving him into the catcher spot would have forced CC to bat and potentially run the bases. Girardi chose to have Posada get behind the plate, keep the DH for the remainder of the game, and avoid a Wang-like injury to his most important player. Wise decision.

• nolanwiffle - Sep 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Speaking for CC…..I’m pretty sure he’d rather have a “Wang-like injury” than a Wang injury.

2. zakharovsa - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Montero caught Sunday’s game, Craig. Didn’t look great doing it but he did.

• djeter220 - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM

He caught a runner stealing

• kopy - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM

And allowed 3 more.

• kopy - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Sorry, 2 more. EDIT FUNCTION

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

In fairness to the stolen bases allowed, nearly everything Freddy threw was in the dirt. Tough to throw guys out on those. I thought he looked pretty good for a guy who was thrown into the catching gig without really having proper time to prepare.

3. cur68 - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM

There it is! Craig, you rogue, I just got finished complaining about the lack of this post and you posted it while I was typing. Well, I suppose the nyquil must be slowing you down a bit, but obviously not as much as my age is slowing me.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM

And of course, when Grumpy was called in, there was no one grinning from ear-to-shining-ear bigger than Beep-beep. Then they partied like it was 1999! How did we LOSE that game, exactly?

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Len my friend, I feel that the involvement of Grumpy had nothing whatsoever to do with that loss to the Angles. None. His stellar plate defense, masterful game calling, and strong right arm were a credit to his youthful energy and talent. The Yankees would have been lost without him…or something.

• bigharold - Sep 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM

“How did we LOSE that game, exactly?”

Come on Len. Posada came in as a catcher. It was the pen that couldn’t keep it close. And, then there was the non-existant offense.

“…there was no one grinning from ear-to-shining-ear bigger than Beep-beep.”

I don’t know, I thought Teixeira’s thought it was pretty cool too.

Just you wait, .. to paraphrase Nixon, .. ” ..you won’t have “Hor-Hay” to kich arounf much longer”

4. sdelmonte - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM

It feels ever more like the Yankees are being held together by band-aids. Clinching the division and home field can’t come too soon for them to sit and heal their wounds.

5. dailyrev - Sep 12, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Why’s everyone down on the Yanx? They lost 4 out of 5 and added a game to their lead. Sometimes the key to surviving a slump is slumping while your pursuer is slumping even worse than you. Granted, they’d better be healthy and ready to play when those Rays come to town, but if I were a Yanx fan right now, I’d be laughing and pointing northeast rather than panicking over my own squad…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester