Sep 12, 2011, 8:14 PM EDT
TMZ reports that Manny Ramirez has been arrested in Florida following a domestic disturbance, and The Associated Press has confirmed that he’s been charged with battery after an altercation with his wife, Juliana.
Witnesses told TMZ that Ramirez was involved in an altercation with his wife and taken out of his Weston home in handcuffs around 7 p.m. EDT. According to the police report, Ramirez and his wife were arguing in their bedroom when he slapped her face, causing her to hit her head against the headboard of the bed.
Ramirez denied hitting his wife, according to the report, telling a deputy “he grabbed his wife by the shoulders and when he shrugged her, she hit her head.”
Juliana left the house shortly after Manny was taken away, but she did not request medical treatment for swelling on her face and a small bruise on the back of her head.
Ramirez, a 19-year major league veteran, hit 555 homers before retiring in April amid the news that he’d face a second steroids suspension that would cost him 100 games. There were later reports that he might consider a comeback in the Dominican Winter League.
Ramirez was named to 12 All-Star teams and won two World Series with the Red Sox (2004, ’07). He served a 50-game suspension while with the Dodgers in 2009 after testing positive for hCG, a women’s fertility drug. The Rays signed him for $2 million last winter, but he played in just five games for the team before calling it quits.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)