Sep 12, 2011, 8:14 PM EDT
TMZ reports that Manny Ramirez has been arrested in Florida following a domestic disturbance, and The Associated Press has confirmed that he’s been charged with battery after an altercation with his wife, Juliana.
Witnesses told TMZ that Ramirez was involved in an altercation with his wife and taken out of his Weston home in handcuffs around 7 p.m. EDT. According to the police report, Ramirez and his wife were arguing in their bedroom when he slapped her face, causing her to hit her head against the headboard of the bed.
Ramirez denied hitting his wife, according to the report, telling a deputy “he grabbed his wife by the shoulders and when he shrugged her, she hit her head.”
Juliana left the house shortly after Manny was taken away, but she did not request medical treatment for swelling on her face and a small bruise on the back of her head.
Ramirez, a 19-year major league veteran, hit 555 homers before retiring in April amid the news that he’d face a second steroids suspension that would cost him 100 games. There were later reports that he might consider a comeback in the Dominican Winter League.
Ramirez was named to 12 All-Star teams and won two World Series with the Red Sox (2004, ’07). He served a 50-game suspension while with the Dodgers in 2009 after testing positive for hCG, a women’s fertility drug. The Rays signed him for $2 million last winter, but he played in just five games for the team before calling it quits.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)