Roy Oswalt is probably not endearing himself to his old fans in Houston

Sep 12, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

oswalt wide getty Getty Images

Brian McTaggart — who has a story up today about Roy Oswalt and Hunter Pence‘s return to Houston for this weeks’ Phillies-Astros series —  just tweeted a quote from Roy Oswalt, apparently said in response to a question about how he’ll be received by his former hometown fans:

“… probably be just as many Phillies fans there in Houston. So hopefully I won’t get booed too much.”

Cold.  Almost certainly true, but cold all the same.

1. zakharovsa - Sep 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Did I miss a story? Why would they boo him for getting traded?

• grapes911 - Sep 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I agree. Why boo him? I’m sure Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs fans wouldn’t boo Vance Worley just because he plays for the Phillies now. Houston is essentially just another minor league affiliate of the Phillies anyway.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Same reason the Mariners boo ARod, or the Rangers boo Teixeira, or any team boos good players who were traded away.

• frug - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM

ARod wasn’t traded, he left as a free agent.

• sparkycon - Sep 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM

A-Rod was traded by Texas to the Yankees for Alphonso Soriano…

• bravesman1983 - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Because a lot of people, particularly the ones who have the biggest mouths, are not too bright.

2. Jonny 5 - Sep 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM

That’s what he meant.

That’s the fans in Houston he’s beating down until they can only flinch and twitch.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 12, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Funny .gif files, Jonny. The first attachment basically explains the whooping that he and the Phillies will put on the Astros in these next 3 nights. The second attachment shows Oswalt’s satisfaction after being traded from the Astor to the Phillies.

It all makes sense to me.

• dasher521 - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Love the clips! The second one shows that Oswalt has more michievious imp in him than he lets on. That’s all he was doing with the comment, just having a little fun!

3. halladaysbiceps - Sep 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Let’s be honest here. Houston has never been known to have a rabid baseball fan base. It always has been college and NFL football country down there. My guess is that Oswalt and Pence will get ovations tonight initially and subsequently the crowd there will be tame or indifferent. Oswalt was their #1 Ace for 10 years, so they will be appreciative of what he did there.

• clydeserra - Sep 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM

They really love the Oilers there

• kellyb9 - Sep 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM

*loved

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Not so much for Berkman…

4. heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Anything except a robust round of applause for a former player on a new team would be totally shameful.

signed,

Scott Rolen

and Epstein’s mother

5. xmatt0926x - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM

In the interviews I’ve seen with Oswalt he doesn’t strike me as a warm and fuzzy guy. He probably had zero intention of taking a jab at Houston’s fans as much as he just made his typical dry and quick statement. He and Cliff Lee will not exactly give insightful and heartfelt answers to any interviewers questions and they sometimes come off as cold because of it.

6. nocryinginbaseball07 - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Why is that statement “cold”? It seems like wry humor, coming from a guy who has noticed the preponderance of Phillies fans at away games everywhere, that’s all. Non-story.

• xmatt0926x - Sep 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I agree that it is a non-story. I meant in general that when interviewed Oswalt typically comes off as a cold and dry guy meaning that he isn’t going to have a big glowing smile along with a long and meaningful answer. I dont use the term “cold” in this case to describe any bad intentions on Oswalts part. That was my point. It was just to describe a guy that to me seems to use a quick and non-emotional response to many interviewers questions. People also use the word when describing a real insult by saying “ohh that was cold”, but thats not what I meant in my original post.

7. natstowngreg - Sep 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I hereby offer myself as an advisor to the Astros on dealing with infestations of obnoxious Phillies fans. I have quite a bit of experience in this area.

8. nonmendacium - Sep 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM

i’m sorry, but Oswalt’s comment wasn’t meant to insult Astros fans, but to self-mock his own pitching performance–i.e., since half the stadium will be Phillies fans (who aren’t too thrilled with his numbers this year) he’ll a lot of boos from them, not Astros fans.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5091)