The Braves aren’t panicking

Sep 12, 2011, 8:43 PM EST

Washington Nationals v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

I don’t really link this article for the standard-issue “team that is skidding is not panicking” quotes. They themselves aren’t interesting. If the Braves hold on, they’ll be forgotten. If they get passed up by the Cardinals and are home for the playoffs they’ll be humiliating and remembered with pain by anyone who cares.  In other words: much ado about nothing for now.

No, I link it for the illustration by Braves/fan illustrator Tim Williams, who provided a revised Braves logo for the very nervous portion of the season.  And it’s an absolute classic.

We laugh, so that we may not cry.  But we probably laugh a bit more, because that’s pretty funny, right there.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

There is no reason for the Braves to panick as they will not play in the World Series even if they make the playoffs.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Actually, I caught a typo in Craig’s post. The third sentence of the first paragraph should read: “If they get passed up by the Cardinals and are home for the playoffs they’ll be humiliating and remembered with pain by anyone. Who cares?”

2. paperlions - Sep 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

No reason to panic Braves fans (or Braves players), Tony LaRussa is armed with an expanded roster, allowing him a nearly infinite combination of moves to ensure players that have no business being on a real ML roster are in games at the most important times.

• bravesman1983 - Sep 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM

The expanded rosters are definitely out to get Tony La Russa.

3. bravesman1983 - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM

The Braves may not be panicking, but they sure are sucking.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Yes they are. They got beaten again tonight, by the Feesh of all things, in 12, with the Iron Giant limping off the bench like Kirk Gibson Light to deliver the go-ahead single.

4. xmatt0926x - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM

That pic was pretty classic. The only part of the article I hated was the classic “if you would have told usat the beginning of the year that we’d be this may games up……..” quote from McCann. Thats the classic rationalization every team that is fading uses when their lead is slipping away. I really don’t think the braves will miss the playoffs. It is scary though that not even Hudson can be counted on right now. Looks like Beachy is ol’ reliable at this point and then he had a bad game tonight too. I think my fightin’ Phils bail out the Braves by at least splitting 4 games with the Cards and then resting the big 3 during that last series of the year against the Braves.

5. jucam1 - Sep 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM

I find so much comedy in Chipper “I have 8 fatherless children” Jones’ quote where he said “we’re not afraid of the Phillies”, then promptly go ahead and get swept by the best team in baseball…. Hey Chip, how about you focus on taking care of all the kids you’ve left around the country and let the owners of the NL East do what they do and win the division and get to the WS…. You’re a scum bag and we all know it!

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2011 at 12:38 AM

That’s an odd thing to call someone with eight kids, isn’t it?

• bsputnik - Sep 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I absolutely despise the Braves (being a Pirates fan, ’91 & ’92 still leave a bitter taste in my mouth) and Chipper Jones, but I’m not sure where you are getting this 8 kids thing. He has four, three to his current wife and one from an affair while he was married to his first wife. I’m not defending him, just saying that there is no need to make s*** up. That said, I hope the Braves go down and the NL Central gets two teams into the playoffs.

6. wlschneider09 - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:39 AM

It’s to bad interleague play is over, because it would be interesting to see what would happen in a Red Sox/Braves series right now. Resistable force vs. movable objects and all.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester