The Mets want to wear special caps next 9/11 and every 9/11 after that

Sep 12, 2011, 7:55 PM EDT

FDNY Hat

Absolutely no one is happy with Major League Baseball’s decision to disallow the Mets’ first responder caps on yesterday’s 10th anniversary of 9/11. And the Mets are chief among those who are displeased. But they’re not just sitting and stewing. They’re pushing Major League Baseball on the issue. But the last sentence makes me feel somehow less moved by it all:

Mets player representative Josh Thole hopes to come to an agreement soon with Major League Baseball on a policy that would allow his team to wear emergency service-department caps during games on Sept. 11 every year. Thole called the players’ association Monday, a day after the Mets were denied their request to wear caps honoring first responders on the 10th anniversary of the attacks. He said he wanted to discuss marketing and licensing possibilities but had not heard back.

Well, if marketing and licensing possibilities are on the table I assume someone will actually listen now.  Sure, bring in New Era and Majestic and Bud Light and everyone else and I’m sure that someone will see fit to allow Mets players to wear FDNY and NYPD caps. Why didn’t you say so? Not that I’m blaming Thole or the Mets here. They probably realize that marketing is the only language baseball speaks on this matter and are doing the best they can within the system.

Sometimes I hate humanity. And that’s most of the time.

1. arrooo - Sep 12, 2011 at 8:14 PM

MLB let the mets wear those horrible Los Mets jerseys twice, but won’t budge on this? I guess Hispanic heritage is more important than American fallen heroes .

2. robertterwilliger - Sep 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM

i guess we can only pray that the true american heroes, new era, make caps for the mets to wear.

3. Old Gator - Sep 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

MLB has annoyed me. They’ve amused me. They’d disappointed me. They’ve pissed me off.

But yesterday, Bud Light, Joe Torre and co. finally succeeded in making me sick.

• natstowngreg - Sep 12, 2011 at 10:32 PM

They’ve done something not even the Fish could do? Truly amazing.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Who said the Feesh couldn’t do it? Although to be fair, it’s not the team on the field that leaves me feeling like I’ve just had unanaesthetized bariatric surgery – at least, not usually. It’s the ownership.

4. hittfamily - Sep 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Nothing like capitalizing on peoples emotions caused by a tragic event. All parties should be ashamed of themselves.

5. nittanylion0 - Sep 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Mike Francesa seemed happy with it. He even brought Joe Torre on to reiterate MLB’s ridiculous reasons for shutting the Mets down. Typical Mike just nodded along in agreement with the great and powerful Torre.

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

The Dog made Mike look good for too long. Left to his own devices, the Blimp that Walks Like a Man is about as boring as spawts tawk raydeeo hosts come.

6. tuftsb - Sep 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I did not need “StandUp2Cancer” and it link to MLB to beat cancer. I did it through my doctors, family and friends. I certainly do not need MLB to link to 9/11 memorialize the friends that I lost on 9/11.

Sports has always reflected our society – the industrialization, ubranization, immigration and integration phases….now it reflects us thorugh the growth of licensing, sponsorships and advertising. Sad.

7. stoutfiles - Sep 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Instead of wearing hats and getting the ticket sales and free PR, how about all the players give a % of their salary to a 9/11 fund? No? Then this is just about ticket sales and free PR.

• ta192 - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:16 PM

How about the owners put in a cut of the gate…

• Steve A - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM

How do you know the players didn’t do that? There’s no reason the players should have to publicize their philanthropy. Just because their salaries are public doesn’t mean their expenses have to be also.

8. indaburg - Sep 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Ugh. Thanks for proving my cynicism correct, MLB.

9. serbingood - Sep 13, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Memo to Commish Selig: Find a company in the State of New York that can make baseball hats. Have the 9/11 hats made in New York State instead of China. Charge a slight premium and allow the players to wear them and also be sold. The corporate greed of MLB ranks just above their asinine blackout policies from MLB.TV with
    both feet rooted in the early 20th Century. .

It’s time for Bud to retire, for the good of the game, you understand. For the good of the game.

10. Old Gator - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:00 AM

New York legalized gay marriage, right? Here’s a great match: Bud and Manny.

11. southpaw2k - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I can’t help but wonder if we’d be having this discussion right now if the Yankees were home Sunday night instead of the Mets. Could Torre have possibly told the team he had managed – including his buddies Jeter, Posada, and Rivera – that they couldn’t wear the hats of New York City first response teams with a straight face? Would the Steinbrenner family have allowed that to happen? Would Giuliani petition MLB to permit the Yankees to go ahead and wear the hats?

12. Jonny 5 - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Well, they haven’t “done” anything yet. Marketing and Licensing should be addressed right up front imo. I believe that marketing the hat on a large scale, including every team, with the profits going directly to help victims of the disaster, should be thrown on the table at that time. Sure let New Era in, if they want to make these for a smaller profit margin. Let the sponsors get involved and allow them to pat themselves on the back over their generosity as they get involved, not to turn a profit, but to help make life a little easier for the families who lost a Dad or Mom and need financial assistance. I’m sure this could be done and it may just help to restore some of our faith in humanity. Or something else will happen and it will just reinforce our lack of it.

13. Panda Claus - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Had I been managing the Mets, the players would’ve taken the field as normal. Then all nine players would’ve taken off the standard issue Mets hat, dropped them on the ground, then retreated to the dugout.

You don’t think that losing a prime time audience on ESPN would’ve changed the minds of MLB execs quickly?

Your move Mr. Selig.

• Steve A - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:58 AM

And you would have been fired on the spot. The Wilpons are friends of Selig’s and need his help to straighten out the Madoff mess. They wouldn’t stand for any public dissention. Regretable, but probably true.

• kellyb9 - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I doubt it. The PR nightmare would’ve been 10 times worse if MLB did that. The manager probably would’ve gotten away with a slap on the wrist. Although, this is the Mets we’re talking about and not the Yankees. I feel as though Girardi might have a bit more leverage to pull something like that off than Terry Collins.

• Panda Claus - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:26 AM

And that would’ve been OK. Sometimes it’s time to take a stand and this was it.

Some will say it’s only a hat we’re talking about here. If that’s truly the case, why is it not a big deal with MLB to have throwbacks, camouflage hats on uniforms or the red, white and blue 4th of July hats? Because they can sell those that’s why.

The decision in this case probably wasn’t at all about money, but because of how it came down it looks like it’s all about money.

14. Reggie's Bush - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM

How this was handled sucks. Terrible move Torre/Selig

But I will say kudos for Thole sticking with it and trying to make it right for the future.

15. The Baseball Idiot - Sep 13, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Players get a share of all marketing. Good thing there is no bias involved in any of this.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS