Sep 12, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Last week Terry Francona replied “we don’t know” when asked about J.D. Drew‘s return timetable and now we know why, as general manager Theo Epstein revealed during a radio interview today that Drew has a broken middle finger.
Drew was on the verge of returning from a shoulder injury and possibly taking back significant playing time from Josh Reddick when he suffered the avulsion fracture while on a minor-league rehab assignment.
Epstein told WEEI in Boston that Drew hasn’t been ruled out for the season, but “he needs to heal” and clearly isn’t close to rejoining the lineup with two weeks remaining.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 19
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)