Sep 12, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Last week Terry Francona replied “we don’t know” when asked about J.D. Drew‘s return timetable and now we know why, as general manager Theo Epstein revealed during a radio interview today that Drew has a broken middle finger.
Drew was on the verge of returning from a shoulder injury and possibly taking back significant playing time from Josh Reddick when he suffered the avulsion fracture while on a minor-league rehab assignment.
Epstein told WEEI in Boston that Drew hasn’t been ruled out for the season, but “he needs to heal” and clearly isn’t close to rejoining the lineup with two weeks remaining.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)