Sep 12, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Last week Terry Francona replied “we don’t know” when asked about J.D. Drew‘s return timetable and now we know why, as general manager Theo Epstein revealed during a radio interview today that Drew has a broken middle finger.
Drew was on the verge of returning from a shoulder injury and possibly taking back significant playing time from Josh Reddick when he suffered the avulsion fracture while on a minor-league rehab assignment.
Epstein told WEEI in Boston that Drew hasn’t been ruled out for the season, but “he needs to heal” and clearly isn’t close to rejoining the lineup with two weeks remaining.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)