Sep 12, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Last week Terry Francona replied “we don’t know” when asked about J.D. Drew‘s return timetable and now we know why, as general manager Theo Epstein revealed during a radio interview today that Drew has a broken middle finger.
Drew was on the verge of returning from a shoulder injury and possibly taking back significant playing time from Josh Reddick when he suffered the avulsion fracture while on a minor-league rehab assignment.
Epstein told WEEI in Boston that Drew hasn’t been ruled out for the season, but “he needs to heal” and clearly isn’t close to rejoining the lineup with two weeks remaining.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)