Sep 12, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
I guess that’s a cheap shot at Gathright. Didn’t really mean it that way. I’m really just trying to mess with that slice of Red Sox fans who won’t calm down unless or until zombie Ted Williams is signed to play left field and, just to be safe, the Rays decide to forfeit the rest of their games for the season.
But the callup of Gathright is notable anyway. Guy hasn’t played in the bigs since 2009 and started the season in independent ball. And not just any independent ball team: he played for the Jose Canseco-managed Yuma Scorpions.
The speedy Gathright will likely be a pinch runner while the rosters are big. It’s hard to see where he’d fit on the team once the playoffs started and the Sox were down to 25 guys.
Assuming the Sox make the playoffs anyway. (buwhahahahahah!)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)