Sep 12, 2011, 7:24 PM EST
I guess that’s a cheap shot at Gathright. Didn’t really mean it that way. I’m really just trying to mess with that slice of Red Sox fans who won’t calm down unless or until zombie Ted Williams is signed to play left field and, just to be safe, the Rays decide to forfeit the rest of their games for the season.
But the callup of Gathright is notable anyway. Guy hasn’t played in the bigs since 2009 and started the season in independent ball. And not just any independent ball team: he played for the Jose Canseco-managed Yuma Scorpions.
The speedy Gathright will likely be a pinch runner while the rosters are big. It’s hard to see where he’d fit on the team once the playoffs started and the Sox were down to 25 guys.
Assuming the Sox make the playoffs anyway. (buwhahahahahah!)
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)