Sep 12, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
I guess that’s a cheap shot at Gathright. Didn’t really mean it that way. I’m really just trying to mess with that slice of Red Sox fans who won’t calm down unless or until zombie Ted Williams is signed to play left field and, just to be safe, the Rays decide to forfeit the rest of their games for the season.
But the callup of Gathright is notable anyway. Guy hasn’t played in the bigs since 2009 and started the season in independent ball. And not just any independent ball team: he played for the Jose Canseco-managed Yuma Scorpions.
The speedy Gathright will likely be a pinch runner while the rosters are big. It’s hard to see where he’d fit on the team once the playoffs started and the Sox were down to 25 guys.
Assuming the Sox make the playoffs anyway. (buwhahahahahah!)
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)