Sep 12, 2011, 7:24 PM EST
I guess that’s a cheap shot at Gathright. Didn’t really mean it that way. I’m really just trying to mess with that slice of Red Sox fans who won’t calm down unless or until zombie Ted Williams is signed to play left field and, just to be safe, the Rays decide to forfeit the rest of their games for the season.
But the callup of Gathright is notable anyway. Guy hasn’t played in the bigs since 2009 and started the season in independent ball. And not just any independent ball team: he played for the Jose Canseco-managed Yuma Scorpions.
The speedy Gathright will likely be a pinch runner while the rosters are big. It’s hard to see where he’d fit on the team once the playoffs started and the Sox were down to 25 guys.
Assuming the Sox make the playoffs anyway. (buwhahahahahah!)
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (154)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)