Sep 12, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT
This happens every year when the playoff races tighten, but it’s been fun to think about this today:
- Braves fans probably have to root pretty hard for the Phillies as they play the Cardinals this weekend.
- Red Sox fans probably have to root pretty hard for the Yankees, as they play the Rays seven times in the last two weeks of the season.
- Rays should also root for the Yankees as they face the Sox on the weekend of the 23rd.
- Yankees fans can play the “oh, wouldn’t it be fun to roll over to the Rays simply to mess with the Sox” game, even though they probably don’t mean it.
I often sing the praises of Twitter, but if you find yourself as fascinated as I am with these kinds of weird temporary rooting interests, by all means, sign up and start following hardcore fans of the Sox, Rays and Braves to see fun stuff like that.
And, at least next weekend, Go Phillies!
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (81)