When the rooting interests get nutty

Sep 12, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT

Go team

This happens every year when the playoff races tighten, but it’s been fun to think about this today:

• Braves fans probably have to root pretty hard for the Phillies as they play the Cardinals this weekend.
  • Red Sox fans probably have to root pretty hard for the Yankees, as they play the Rays seven times in the last two weeks of the season.
  • Rays should also root for the Yankees as they face the Sox on the weekend of the 23rd.
  • Yankees fans can play the “oh, wouldn’t it be fun to roll over to the Rays simply to mess with the Sox” game, even though they probably don’t mean it.

I often sing the praises of Twitter, but if you find yourself as fascinated as I am with these kinds of weird temporary rooting interests, by all means, sign up and start following hardcore fans of the Sox, Rays and Braves to see fun stuff like that.

And, at least next weekend, Go Phillies!

1. insaneinthemembraines - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Thanks for sharing one of the many pics in your “underage cheerleader” folder Craig!

2. halladaysbiceps - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Phillies fans don’t have this rooting problem. All other teams are subservient to us and therefore do not matter. Bring on whoever. We fear no team.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I wouldn’t wish injury upon anyone, but the 2011 Phillies. They can all go directly to jail and not pass go. I also hope someone beats the shit out of your ego and leaves it for dead in the streets for others to see so that no one repeats this cocky display ever again.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Dude, what about Lee? Huh? Ready to throw your make believe baseball season away already? Where is your grit man?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Hahahahahahaha!!!!! It’s not my ego that you are really mad at. It’s the swagger that the Phillies exude on the field. The Phillies do their talking on the field. Us fans only verbally relay what the players are thinking. They know no one can beat them.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well I wish for your starters to have arm troubles, your third baseman to be ancient, your starting right fielder to be Francoeurean enigmatic, and your first baseman to run like a wounded moose.

Oh, wait, dreams to come true!

( Just playing Bravo, don’t voodoo doll me or anything )

• SmackSaw - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, like the Giants did last year. Come to think of it, the Phils have been getting their collective asses kicked for decades. 1980 and 2008 notwithstanding.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Damn cepts, that was a pretty brilliant comeback, I must say. It actually makes your cockiness more reasonable, but still unacceptable.

All I’m going to do is root for the Braves to be healthy, not anything else. That’s all that matters in real life baseball to me.

J5, the playoffs start today. Lee must be healthy and dominant. He must NOT be rested at all. This part of the year sucks for innings. Out of my SPs: Peavy already got shut down. Liriano is done (but who cares he sucked anyway this year). I have Lee, but he might get rested. I have Felix, he’ll pitch till his arm falls off. I have Hellickson on pitch limits now. I have Beachy on limits. Gallardo may be rested a bit, but unlikely. BAHHHHH, it’s like the year I lost the finals in fantasy football b/c they sat Peyton for the second half…it’s gonna be crazy I tells ye!!!!!!!!!!!

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM

C’mon now smacksaw, you forgot about ’93 and I wouldn’t call making the playoffs a bunch of years in a row getting, how did you put it, “Phils have been getting their collective asses kicked for decades”

Is a smacksaw a tool by the way?

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Is a smacksaw a tool by the way?

I can’t decide if that’s an insult or a legitimate question…

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Perception FC, perception

• rgfyvp - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

He is just calling a spade a spade.

• phillyphan4ever - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM

We can beat any team all our bench players are amazing i dont give a F**k what anyone says were the team to beat!

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I just puked in my mouth for no reason, or so I thought. Looking for justification, I tune back into HBT and see this post, the last sentence, and it all becomes clear.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Want a nice cold yuengling to help wash that down ;-) ?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Goose Island Matilda works better.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I’ll see what I can do.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:05 PM

That’s why they pay you the big bucks blue.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Whoever thumbs downed the Matilda comment should tear their own tongue out and dissolve it in sulfuric acid. You sir/madam, have no taste.

• ditto65 - Sep 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Thumbs down. What are you going to do about it?

4. summeroftony - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

What’s your beef with the Phils?

• Matt - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I’m pretty sure that Ryan Howard stole his Subway Club when they were kids, resulting in this lifelong hatred of Howard and by extension the Phils.

5. baccards - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM

So do you think Strasburg will be strong enough to start the 23rd, 24th, and 25th? And let’s get some good Old Gator voodoo working for Fla. Hate to root against a team, except the Cubbies of course,(well, and the Reds) but the way the Redbirds seem to wilt in the heat that’s all I can do.

6. mattintoledo - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Don’t forget Tiger fans rooting for the Indians to beat the Rangers in their upcoming series so the Tigers can have a better shot at home field in the first round.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Yeah, that actually makes sense. Forgive me, I’m still trying to self-teach myself playoff scenarios. Let’s see….. If Tigers (who have sold out playoff tickets) are better than the Rangers, Yanks can’t play Sox…..carry the five……

7. Jonny 5 - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Well Craig, If you want to root like the other bandwagon Phillies fans who have popped up, you can pick up an “ILL” shirt for like 10 bucks pretty much anywhere, oh and “LIES” too.. Yeah, and don’t forget the plush batteries to throw at the big screen, it helps when you’re enraged by int walks, pinch hitters coming in, and other assorted things that anger the bandwagoners who don’t understand the game too much. Although I don’t recommend that for you, I figure you can use them to throw at that “Huge Jerk” Albert Pujols. He got nothin’ for Tony Plush.

• bleedgreen - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I was at Chickie and Pete’s on Saturday night. I had to explain game strategy to about 6 different people who were decked head to toe in Phils gear, but wanted to know why Fielder was IBB’d by Madson. I had a girl seriously ask me ‘Why isn’t Cole Hamels playing today? Is he hurt? Wouldn’t you want all your best guys playing?” I also had another guy ranting about “Ryan Howard is useless. Why is he even still on the team?” … Yeah, the NL RBI leader with 111 RBI and 33 HRs is useless. Might as well just outright release him. Ugh. Fail. Major fail.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Just because you shell out $120.00 for a Phillies jersey doesn’t make you knowledgeable of the game of baseball. I never owned or wore a Phillies jersey with another man’s name on the back in my life. Always seemed silly to me.

• bleedgreen - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

QI have a few shirseys. But I bought 1 sports jersey ever. Kevin Curtis. Yeah… lets just say that after the way that worked out, I’ll never pay more than $20-25 for a jersey. Which means I’m never going to buy a jersey.

• paperlions - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Yet you use the term “we” when referring to the Phillies.

• summeroftony - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

While those fans annoy me to no end they do serve a purpose. Bandwagon fans are what fill the stadiums when teams get good. I have a bunch of bandwagon friends and I give them grief all the time. I always say it’s fine to jump on the bandwagon, but just don’t get off it in 5 years when the team is bad again.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM

My father got me a custom T-shirt with my (first) name on the back, and then the Phillies trade with Cleveland ended in them also receiving Francisco…. at least the number is different.

• firedude7160 - Sep 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

“lets just say that after the way that worked out, I’ll never pay more than $20-25 for a jersey”

I bought a brand new authentic McNabb Jersey (Eagles version) for $12.50 in February. I found it at Khol’s, and since it was a big man friendly size, I couldn’t pass it up. I am not ashamed to admit that I am cheap

• Jonny 5 - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Try sitting next to a person at a game (in good seats mind you) and they start with “Why the hell are they pulling the pitcher, what’s Charlie an idiot? They’re pitching awesome, I don’t get it!” Meanwhile, there are two men on in a tie game bottom of the 7th with the pitcher spot up to bat. I want to kick them out of their seats. Well as mentioned already, they help bring in revenue that helps get better players, which helps the team. So I guess I should be ok with it. But I don’t have to like it.

8. proudlycanadian - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I am rooting against the Red Sox this year because I find the Yankees (gulp!) to be less objectionable.

• Panda Claus - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:55 PM

It’s a hard choice to make isn’t it? My determination of which team is less objectionable seems to vary by which team beat our Oriole butts least recently.

• hittfamily - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

If the Rangers, Angels, and Rays all keep playing well, you may not have to root for either of them. Doubtful, but a Rays 4 game sweep of the Sox, and 6-1 or 5-2 record VS the Yankees makes the wild card and AL East very interesting.

• natstowngreg - Sep 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM

It is a difficult choice, isn’t it?

Through 2004, I hoped the Red Sox would win the World Series, so Red Sox Nation would shut up with the Curse of the Bambino crap alrready. Once that was achieved, I switched to hoping that both teams lost.

• Panda Claus - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:37 AM

And we all know that not only did they NOT shut up, but they became insufferable.

9. vanquish0916 - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM

ROOT FOR ALL THE TEAMS!!!

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Socialist rabble

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

And there it is. Stinky, that’s my comment of the day, right there. Excellent sense of timing, minimalism and giving credit to the reader for noting the the nuances inherent in the posting and the comment. Brought a tear to my crusty, rheumy old eyes, so it did.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Glad I could assist? Sarcasm font is wonky today.

I think your thesis nodes might be seeping into other parts of the brain.

But as long as your not taclking cloning and the human soul, you should be fine.

10. SmackSaw - Sep 12, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Collapse Rangers!

11. hittfamily - Sep 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I think the Yankees are absolutely Red Sox fans right now. Only the Tigers have a better record than the Rays since June, and the Rays would be a better team in the playoffs, being able to move Wade Davis and Matt Moore to the bullpen. They say good pitching beats good hitting, and no team in baseball would rather face Shields, Price, Hellickson, Nieman over Lester, TBD, TBD, TBD,

• ditto65 - Sep 12, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Were Davis and Moore on the roster before Sept 1? I don’t know – I am just asking, since they are ineligible for post season if they were not.

• hittfamily - Sep 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Crap!!!!!!! Moore was not. Wasn’t on the 40 man so no playoffs for Moore. Damn. What a mistake. He had to be on the 40 man roster anyways or he would be eligible for the rule 5 draft.

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I wonder who the Yankees would prefer to play in the ALCS (if it could be either Boston or Tampa). The Yankees will likely have something to say about it, since their final 10 games are against these 2 teams. If the Yanks clinch early, could they run out a AAA lineup against one team more than the other in hopes of controlling even more of their destiny?

• hittfamily - Sep 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM