Sep 13, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
This is cool: Seamheads.com has launched an effort to create the first comprehensive statistical encyclopedia of Negro Leagues baseball statistics. It’s called the Negro Leagues Database, and it has just launched with the first three Negro Leagues seasons (1920-23) and some assorted Cuban winter league results of that era. The site has biographical information as well.
I myself am not a big stats guy, but this sort of thing — which has been a long time coming and is the result of many, many years of hard work — is the kind of thing people have been begging for for years.
And it’s a blow for equality too. Because now people can complain about how WAR doesn’t mean a damn thing when it comes to analyzing white players and black players of the pre-integration era! And that’s progress of a sort!
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 12
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 97
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 64
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)