Sep 13, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
This is cool: Seamheads.com has launched an effort to create the first comprehensive statistical encyclopedia of Negro Leagues baseball statistics. It’s called the Negro Leagues Database, and it has just launched with the first three Negro Leagues seasons (1920-23) and some assorted Cuban winter league results of that era. The site has biographical information as well.
I myself am not a big stats guy, but this sort of thing — which has been a long time coming and is the result of many, many years of hard work — is the kind of thing people have been begging for for years.
And it’s a blow for equality too. Because now people can complain about how WAR doesn’t mean a damn thing when it comes to analyzing white players and black players of the pre-integration era! And that’s progress of a sort!
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47