Sep 13, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Chase Utley has passed all the necessary tests following his concussion last week and Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the second baseman has been cleared to rejoin the Phillies’ lineup Thursday.
That means Utley will have missed seven days with the “mild” concussion, which is pretty fortunate considering the multiple-month absences for other concussed players like Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Brian Roberts, and Denard Span recently.
Utley was cleared to resume working out Saturday and is now restriction-free, although the Phillies may opt to limit his playing time down the stretch anyway just to be safe.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)