Sep 13, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Here’s some potentially bad news for the reeling Red Sox.
Brian McPherson of the Providence Journal reports that David Ortiz left tonight’s game against the Blue Jays due to back spasms. Ortiz was in the original starting lineup as the designated hitter, but Jed Lowrie pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the first inning.
The good news is that Ortiz didn’t aggravate his heel injury from last month, but the Red Sox obviously can’t afford to be without one of their best hitters as they attempt to hold off the pesky Rays in the Wild Card race.
By the way, Tim Wakefield is currently making his eighth attempt at his 200th career victory. After the Red Sox scored two in the bottom of the first, Wakefield gave it right back by allowing a three-run homer to J.P. Arencibia in the top of the second inning.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17