Sep 13, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
We’ve known that Yankees backup catcher Francisco Cervelli has had some concussion-like symptoms since he was leveled at home plate by Nick Markakis in last Thursday’s game against the Orioles. But yesterday it was confirmed: dude has a concussion and he’s on the shelf indefinitely. Given that he has suffered at least two and possibly three concussions in the past couple of years, he could be out a really long time as recovery time tends to drag on a bit longer for each one.
That means that both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine — the two catching prospects who have basically spent all year in the minors — are likely to make the playoff roster. Montero as the DH/emergency catcher, Romine as the backup catcher. At least I would assume.
Joe Girardi is a former catcher of course, and there have been indications that he is way more concerned about defense behind the dish than your average manager (Mike Scioscia is like this too). Montero clearly has some issues back there. I’ve never seen Romine catch, but it’s been said that he’s competent but by no means spectacular. One wonders if this will impact Girardi’s decisions if, say, Russell Martin is a bit banged up. Or if Giardi is the kind of guy who would rather go with the devil he knows — Jorge Posada — rather than the devil he doesn’t in two young kids.
A major issue? Nah, because Cervelli really isn’t a very good baseball player. But the kind of thing that can have a fairly large impact due to the position involved and, more importantly, the psychology surrounding the position involved.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 6
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)