Sep 13, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
We’ve known that Yankees backup catcher Francisco Cervelli has had some concussion-like symptoms since he was leveled at home plate by Nick Markakis in last Thursday’s game against the Orioles. But yesterday it was confirmed: dude has a concussion and he’s on the shelf indefinitely. Given that he has suffered at least two and possibly three concussions in the past couple of years, he could be out a really long time as recovery time tends to drag on a bit longer for each one.
That means that both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine — the two catching prospects who have basically spent all year in the minors — are likely to make the playoff roster. Montero as the DH/emergency catcher, Romine as the backup catcher. At least I would assume.
Joe Girardi is a former catcher of course, and there have been indications that he is way more concerned about defense behind the dish than your average manager (Mike Scioscia is like this too). Montero clearly has some issues back there. I’ve never seen Romine catch, but it’s been said that he’s competent but by no means spectacular. One wonders if this will impact Girardi’s decisions if, say, Russell Martin is a bit banged up. Or if Giardi is the kind of guy who would rather go with the devil he knows — Jorge Posada — rather than the devil he doesn’t in two young kids.
A major issue? Nah, because Cervelli really isn’t a very good baseball player. But the kind of thing that can have a fairly large impact due to the position involved and, more importantly, the psychology surrounding the position involved.
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 0
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)