Impending free agent Aramis Ramirez wants multi-year deal

Sep 13, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

aramis-ramirez-cubs-swing

Aramis Ramirez is all but certain to become a free agent once the Cubs decline his $16 million option for 2012 and the 33-year-old third baseman told Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago that he’ll be seeking a multi-year deal:

If I hit the marketplace I should end up with a two- or three-year deal. The reason is, there aren’t a lot of third basemen available this offseason. But if [the Cubs] approach me, I’m sure we can get something done. But probably not for one year.

That certainly isn’t surprising for a player coming off a five-year, $75 million contract, but Ramirez getting another big multi-year deal would have seemed impossible in the middle of last season.

However, he bounced back from a terrible first half to hit very well after the All-Star break last season and has followed that up with pretty typical Aramis Ramirez production this year, hitting .306 with 25 homers and an .871 OPS in 139 games. His age and defense make it risky to commit to Ramirez for multiple seasons, but he’ll be one of the best hitters on the market after topping an .850 OPS for the seventh time in eight years.

1. Kevin S. - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

A two- or three-year deal is eminently reasonable for Aramis Ramirez at this point in his career. Refreshing to see a player able to perform a critical self-evaluation of his own worth.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Agreed

• Alex K - Sep 13, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Heck, I wouldn’t mind the Cubs giving him something around what the Cardinals gave Carpenter.

2. normb11 - Sep 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Why would the Cubs decline the option?
    Aramis can void the deal if the Cubs exercise. If he wants a multi-year deal, he’ll void.

If I’m the Cubs:
    Exercise option.
    If Ramirez stays, fine. They have a good offensive 3B on a 1 year deal.
    If Ramirez voids, Cubs offer arbitration.
    If Ramirez accepts, fine.
    If Ramirez declines, say good bye, and thanks for the draft pick(s)

by the way, how is Ramirez only a Type B according to MLBTR?

• hackerjay - Sep 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I think the main problem wit that scenario is that the Cubs just don’t really have any reason to have a $16 million third baseman on a one year contract. It’s not like they are going to compete next year. If they can get him to sign for a couple of years at a discount, then sure, I could see keeping him around, but picking up his option doesn’t seem like that great of an idea to me.

3. dodger88 - Sep 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Where he plays seems important to Ramirez (i.e. not wanting to waive his no-trade clause). If he were willing to do a one year deal, I presume multiple teams would be interested in him. If he pushes for a multi-year deal, you have to figure his options dwindle.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3677)