Sep 13, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
Jered Weaver struggled working on short rest two weeks ago, giving up seven runs to the Rangers on August 28, but the Angels ace is going to give it another try.
Weaver is scheduled to pitch tomorrow against the A’s and manager Mike Scioscia indicated to reporters that his next start will probably be Sunday versus the Orioles, which would then line him up to also work September 23 and the September 28 season finale.
Of course, nothing is set in stone yet and Scioscia explained that Weaver wouldn’t be asked to come back on short rest if his pitch count tomorrow is exceptionally high.
That poor outing in late August is the only time in 174 career starts that Weaver has pitched on fewer than four days of rest.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)