Sep 13, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
Jered Weaver struggled working on short rest two weeks ago, giving up seven runs to the Rangers on August 28, but the Angels ace is going to give it another try.
Weaver is scheduled to pitch tomorrow against the A’s and manager Mike Scioscia indicated to reporters that his next start will probably be Sunday versus the Orioles, which would then line him up to also work September 23 and the September 28 season finale.
Of course, nothing is set in stone yet and Scioscia explained that Weaver wouldn’t be asked to come back on short rest if his pitch count tomorrow is exceptionally high.
That poor outing in late August is the only time in 174 career starts that Weaver has pitched on fewer than four days of rest.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)