Sep 13, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
After spending Monday night in the Broward County Jail, Manny Ramirez was released on $2,500 bail Tuesday.
He declined to speak about the incident that left wife Juliana with a swollen face and a bruise on the back of her head as he left the jail alone.
“No thanks,” Ramirez said when asked for comment. “Let me see, where’s my family?”
According to The Associated Press, Ramirez then hopped into a white Cadillac Escalade driven by his sister and was whisked away.
Ramirez’s sister did speak from the vehicle briefly before Manny arrived, though she declined to give her name.
“He’s my brother; we love him no matter what. He’s an amazing guy and we love him no matter what,” she said before rolling up the window.
At a brief court appearance Tuesday, Ramirez was ordered to have no direct contact with his wife by County Judge John Hurley. There’s no word yet on the timing of his next court appearance. He faces up to a year in jail if convicted of misdemeanor domestic battery charges.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)