Sep 13, 2011, 6:19 PM EST
The Marlins’ decision to release Mike Cameron with 2 1/2 weeks left in the season seemed awfully odd, particularly with Mike Stanton and Logan Morrison banged up. But they obviously had their reasons. Juan C. Rodriguez of The Sun Sentinel reports that the center fielder was let go for conduct detrimental to the team.
No word on what said conduct was. It certainly comes as a big surprise, as the 38-year-old Cameron has never been viewed as a problem player. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Cameron played in 45 games for the Marlins after being released by the Red Sox and hit .238/.331/.420 with six homers and 18 RBI in 143 at-bats. It’s not a great line, but the .751 OPS is actually slightly better than what NL center fielders (.747) and left fielders (.748) are putting up as a whole this season.
With Cameron gone and Morrison and Stanton both sidelined, the Marlins are using an outfield of Greg Dobbs, Bryan Petersen and Emilio Bonifacio tonight. It’s the fifth outfield start for Dobbs, who spent much of the first few months battling Bonifacio for playing time at third base.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)