Sep 13, 2011, 11:35 PM EDT
The Cardinals beat the Pirates 6-4 tonight to stay within 4 1/2 games of the Braves in the Wild Card race, but they may have lost one of their big bats in the process.
According to Matthew Leach of MLB.com, Matt Holliday left tonight’s game with an injury to his right hand. Holliday went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts before Corey Patterson hit for him in the top of the ninth inning.
“I did something to my hand taking a swing,” said Holliday. “It’s a ligament or a tendon problem. I was just swinging a bat and I couldn’t swing it anymore.”
The full extent of the injury isn’t yet clear, but Holliday doesn’t believe he suffered a broken bone. He is expected to be reevaluated tomorrow morning.
Holliday, 31, is batting .295/.388/.528 with 22 home runs, 74 RBI and a .915 OPS over 503 plate appearances this season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)