Sep 13, 2011, 11:35 PM EDT
The Cardinals beat the Pirates 6-4 tonight to stay within 4 1/2 games of the Braves in the Wild Card race, but they may have lost one of their big bats in the process.
According to Matthew Leach of MLB.com, Matt Holliday left tonight’s game with an injury to his right hand. Holliday went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts before Corey Patterson hit for him in the top of the ninth inning.
“I did something to my hand taking a swing,” said Holliday. “It’s a ligament or a tendon problem. I was just swinging a bat and I couldn’t swing it anymore.”
The full extent of the injury isn’t yet clear, but Holliday doesn’t believe he suffered a broken bone. He is expected to be reevaluated tomorrow morning.
Holliday, 31, is batting .295/.388/.528 with 22 home runs, 74 RBI and a .915 OPS over 503 plate appearances this season.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)