Sep 13, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT
Kung Fu Panda’s gut is making a comeback.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy acknowledged to Chris Haft of MLB.com Monday that third baseman Pablo Sandoval has regained at least some of the 40 pounds that he dropped last winter in a hardcore conditioning and dieting program.
Bochy didn’t seem bothered by the gain, telling Haft and other reporters that “overall, it’s been good.”
But the then-and-now pictures tell a different story.
Here’s Sandoval taking a swing during an April 23 game against the Braves:
And here’s a picture of Sandoval during last night’s 8-3 defeat of the Padres:
Sandoval has actually posted a slightly better batting line (.299/.351/.519) since the All-Star break than the .303/.341/.503 mark that he registered in the first half. He has also slugged more home runs.
But the Giants have to be concerned about his long-term ability to stay fit and healthy while manning a position that requires a serious amount of athleticism. Might another personal offseason training regimen be in order?
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)