Police report: Manny Ramirez slapped his wife, causing her to hit her head and fear for her safety

Sep 13, 2011, 6:28 AM EDT

Manny Ramirez mugshot

According to the arrest report arising from Manny Ramirez’s arrest for domestic violence last night, Ramirez and his wife were arguing. Ramirez slapped her face, causing her to hit her head on their bed’s headboard. Ramirez’s wife was afraid that the violence would escalate so she called police. She declined medical treatment but did have marks consistent with her story, the report said.

The incident itself is a subject for law enforcement now.  The subject of Manny Ramirez, however, is no longer appropriately the subject of jokes and apologies.

I don’t think even the harshest Manny Ramirez critics ever considered him to be a truly bad guy. His transgressions were usually seen as those of an absent-minded man. A flake. Someone with motivation problems. The PED stuff was troubling, but so many ballplayers did it that it spoke more to his baseball character than some inherent personal flaw apart from said laziness.  Those of us who truly believed in the concept of Manny being Manny thought of him as a mostly benign eccentric.

That narrative wasn’t perfect. For one thing, it didn’t really account for that time he shoved the Red Sox traveling secretary Jack McCormick to the ground during an argument over tickets.  The Manny being Manny narrative absorbed that, however, because it was quickly followed by a trade and a new set of seemingly harmless Manny behavior — and good play — once he got to Los Angeles.

But that narrative of the kooky flake doesn’t really hold water anymore. Maybe it shouldn’t have before. Either way, this is obviously very serious and very sad business.

1. halladaysbiceps - Sep 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM

“I don’t think even the harshest Manny Ramirez critics ever considered him to be a truly bad guy.”

Are you serious, Craig? This guy for many years has been a clubhouse problem. I think he pushed and knocked down some old man in the Boston front office down a few years ago because he couldn’t get extra game tickets. He quit on both his teammates on Boston and Los Angeles. He is a multiple PED abuser/cheater. And people for years said “Well, that Manny being Manny.” And now the guy beats on his wife. Probably isn’t the first time, either. This isn’t really sad like you call it. He a POS. And has been for years.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 13, 2011 at 7:19 AM

I think there’s a stark difference between a flakey fuckup and a wife beater. I’ll admit that the incident with the traveling secretary was bad and does put Manny in the bad guy camp. But this is a stark move into a totally different area.

Perhaps I was way too easy on Manny before this, but there is nothing more pathetic and awful to me than a person who beats women or children.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 13, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Yes, he crossed the line. You never hit a woman. But, I’m not suprised by what Manny did, really. When I look at public figures like someone in sports or entertainment, I look at their track record as a whole. With the stunts that this guy has pulled over the years, I can honestly say this next horric step is not suprising.

There are a handful of MLB players right now that are easily capable of doing something like this because they are not good guys either on or off the field, from what I can observe. The players you never hear a peep out of and seem to be great teammates are the only people I would be shocked to hear something like this occur.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 13, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Certainly in this case your skepticism of him was warranted.

• The Common Man - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I’m a former Manny…well, not supporter. Perhaps appreciator. He seemed kooky and benign, incident with the traveling secretary aside. I certainly feel foolish for thinking that at this moment, even though I don’t see a clear pattern of violent behavior (prior to this incident) that would have led me to expect this.

That said, let’s not pretend that domestic violence is restricted to the moody or the “troublemakers” in society. Abusers come in many shapes, sizes and temperaments. And we certainly don’t see every side of the players we watch and root for on the field or in the locker room.

2. Old Gator - Sep 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Very sad. Advice to wife: get away from this looneytune. Take the money and run.

3. Jonny 5 - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Ahhh, And how many slaps does it take before a wife calls the police? On average, I’d say more than once. How many times does he have to be aggressive towards her before she makes the call because she actually fears for her safety? More than once on average? Probably.

But then again, she could be one devious person who decided to take the money and run and planned all of this. Because I have seen that person before too. Bad people aren’t always carrying the Y chromosone like the “Lifetime” channel would like us to think.

4. heyblueyoustink - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Eeek! On two different posts? We’ve been hacked!

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM

“The PED stuff was troubling, but so many ballplayers did it that it spoke more to his baseball character than some inherent personal flaw apart from said laziness.”

Really? He gets to skate on the PED stuff still? I have never seen this sentence in respect to Clemens, Bonds, ARod, McGwire, etc etc who are consistently treated as villains for their selfish cheating ways and moral character so reprehensible that they can never share space with ‘real’ baseball players ever again.

• kellyb9 - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Yeah… well when you lie under oath in the front of the US Congress, you get a bit more criticism.

• Alex K - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM

When have you ever heard Craig say that stuff about PED users?

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I have never considered a baseball player’s use of PEDs to make him an evil person. They have broken baseball rules and done things I don’t approve of, but I do not think that makes them evil.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Yeah, only Pujols gets that evil tag after tying the game off Kimbrel, right Craig?

• bigleagues - Sep 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM

PED use and assaulting a woman (who also happens to be his wife) are miles apart in terms of the ‘degree of the crime’.

I was a Manny fan and defended his playing career – to a degree – right up until this past Spring. However, among right thinking Red Sox fans – the marriage with Manny the quirky ‘easy-going’ person ended with the shoving of Jack McCormick in 2008. That incident shed a different light on the late arrivals, the occasional OF slacking, etc . . . making that behavior no longer humorous or tolerable.

“Manny being Manny” was no longer a joke – because the rules that apply to everyone else on the team did not apply to him – and he not only believed that but pushed that limit further and further.

If these allegations are true, he has thoroughly ruined the remnants of a once hallowed image as a baseball god.

6. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Lol I just find it funny how you always seem to slam wife-beaters harder than most individuals yet you worship the ground Bobby Cox walks on.

• The Common Man - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:26 AM

It’s a weird thing that happens with people we grew up watching and loving. Today, I am forced to acknowledge that Kirby Puckett was, very likely, a domestic abuser, a jerk, a philanderer, and a sex criminal. He was probably, privately, a really bad dude. But that doesn’t mean I’m any less in love with the idea of Kirby, as I knew him, from the 1980s and 1990s.

I don’t pretend to know Craig’s feelings about Bobby Cox, but I do know that I still struggle to resolve my feelings about Puckett, condemning what he did while also grateful for all the joy he brought to my life. And I hate abusers and bullies as much as anyone.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Please find one instance of me “worshipping” Bobby Cox as a human being or even offering anything close to an excuse for him.

I appreciate his skills as a manager. He happened to manager my favorite team. I never once said I liked him personally or in any way condoned his behavior. Ever.

• missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Back before every case you used to pray to the Bobby Cox God saying Pleassssssssse let me have this guy’s luck in life! He beats his lady and walks free!

• The Common Man - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I don’t even know what the hell that sentence means, but I’m offended by its generalizations, hyperbole, and general doucheyness.

• missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Then you’re quite easily offended XD

• The Common Man - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t understand what your criticism of Craig is, unless you’re just being a douchey troll. If you think he has gone easy on Bobby Cox, it’s incumbent on you to demonstrate that. Otherwise, you’re just being a lazy and spiteful ass.

• missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I’m just being a lazy spiteful ass Commoner

• The Common Man - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Well good, that’s settled. Good on you for owning that.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Lazy isn’t so bad, kind of like Manny in the outfield. Just don’t be spiteful, like Manny when it comes to old men and tickets, or an ass, as described in the article above.

7. trevorb06 - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Keep it up Manny and I’m sure the boys on cellblock D will think that hair of yours is awful purdy.

8. pellypell - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Handy Manny.

9. bigleagues - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Instructions for Red Sox fans with a #24 Jersey:

1) If RAMIREZ is printed above the 24, remove the letters.

2) Replace with EVANS.

3) Once you have removed and or replaced “Ramirez” you will be permitted to wear your #24 jersey in public again.

• The Common Man - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Then retire the number 24 and put Dewey in the HOF!

• bigleagues - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I couldn’t agree more . . . but, ya know, people have trouble placing any HOF value in superior defense by Outfielders. Between Dewey’s consistent better than average offense and his elite all-time great D, he should have gotten far more HOF consideration then he has.

I know Ozzie Smith was a great SS, but his offensive contributions were just that – offensive. Is there another guy in the HOF with a .666 OPS?

BTW . . . Baseball-Reference WAR has Evans at 61.8 and Smith at 64.8. However Fangraph’s WAR has Evans at 71.4 and Smith at 70.3

According to Fangraph’s of ALL OF’ers from 1901 -2011 – Dwight Evans has the 26th best WAR – ahead of Dave Winfield, Tony Gwynn, Jim Rice and Manny Shame-irez. Hurting him, perhaps, is the fact that Andruw Jones is tied with him at 71.4 WAR.

On BR, Evans is 34th among all OF from 1901-2011 – ahead of Winfield and Stargell among others – and still ahead of Shame-irez.

• Kevin S. - Sep 13, 2011 at 11:44 AM

There are a couple guys who are lower, but just looking at OPS underrates Ozzie quite a bit. He played in an atrocious offensive era. His OPS was OBP-heavy – his OBP was actually a couple points above league average for his career. He added a lot of value on the basepaths. And, obviously, he was arguably the greatest defensive player ever at the second-toughest defensive position.

10. protectthishouse54 - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I’m not surprised by this either. Manny always came across as aloof and wacky, but also as someone who only cares about himself. Maybe he’s ovulating or something.

11. rexryanisablowhard - Sep 13, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Thinking roid rage

12. stairwayto7 - Sep 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I want to heard RedSuck Nation stick up for him!

13. pacnwsailor - Sep 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I agree Roid Rage..look how small he is!

All the trade deadline news to know