Sep 13, 2011, 12:21 PM EST
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty’s four-year contract is up after this season, but Mark Sheldon of MLB.com writes that he “bristled” when asked about his future with the team and declined to discuss the topic:
I don’t want to talk about my situation. It’s like any other contract. I don’t like talking about it. It’s not for public consumption. It’s not worth commenting on it.
Sheldon notes that Jocketty typcially refuses to publicly discuss contract matters regarding players, so taking that same stance about his own situation may not mean anything. Of course, he did speak somewhat openly recently about the team’s $12 million option on Francisco Cordero for 2012.
Cincinnati has taken a big step backward this season, going from a division-winning 91-71 last season to third place at 71-76 this year, but Jocketty is only about 10 months removed from winning executive of the year honors and it’s hard to imagine the Reds’ ownership not wanting him back.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)