Stephen Strasburg drops some wisdom

Sep 13, 2011, 1:32 PM EST

Stephen Strasburg Getty Images

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post spoke with Stephen Strasburg recently, and Strasburg said something that — though no one has really mentioned it — seems super obvious the minute Strasburg says it:

I just need to keep working to get into a routine to where it’s just auto-pilot. Answer the bell every fifth day. Kind of just get into the monotony of it, not really focusing on, like, ‘Oh, here’s his next start, Strasburg strikes again’ or whatever. It’s a ton of starts that you get in the big leagues. It’s a long road. It’s a grind. That’s kind of what I’m looking forward to. It’s still kind of the whole atmosphere of like, all the hype and stuff when I’m pitching.”

It’s true that every one of his starts has been a big event. And that’s kind of nuts. Even the top flight starters in baseball don’t get that treatment.  Guys like CC Sabathia are allowed to just do their thing, with most of us looking up after a month of not paying attention to see that he has logged six starts, 43 innings and struck out a ton of dudes, all while getting the work of the season under his belt.

You can’t really quantify how stuff like “there are 15 extra reporters here and several thousand flashbulbs popping every time I pitch” affects a guy’s performance and preparation. But it’d be silly to think it has no effect.  How lucky Strasburg will be when he gets a chance to simply be a joe jobber in the middle of June at some point.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 13, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I can’t wait and neither can my 2012 fantasy team.

2. crispybasil - Sep 13, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I bet it’ll be an interesting dynamic once Harper makes it to the Bigs.

3. Big Ed Robles - Sep 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

There’s gonna be a hype behind all his starts. If this kid keeps his pace, he’ll be the first guy since Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling in 2002 to strike out 300 batters in a full season. After a couple seasons like that, I’m sure we’ll stop gawking every time he pitches and realize its just Strasburg being Strasburg.

4. Loren - Sep 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Back in Pedro’s prime with Boston, it really was like a huge party every fifth day. I guess the big difference here is that no one outside of DC really cares about the nationals right now when Strasburg isn’t pitching, but Boston still got their share of national media attention all the time.

5. baseballisboring - Sep 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM

He’s quite the down to earth dude. I always remember the ESPN articles talking about his immaturity and shitty attitude when I read quotes like this. Lol

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5359)