The Marlins release Mike Cameron

Sep 13, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT

Mike Cameron

Mike Cameron was designated for assignment by the Red Sox earlier this summer and subsequently traded to the Marlins for a player to be named later.  It was not a bad gamble on the Marlins’ part given that, until quite recently, Cameron was still a productive player with two tools — speed and defense — that don’t slump.

But Cameron never got it going in Miami — he hit a mere .239/.333/.423 after the deal — and now the Marlins have released him.

Cameron is 38 and his days as a starter are over.  While it’s possible someone will take a chance on him as a fourth or fifth outfielder next spring, it’s also possible that he may just decide to hang it up.

1. Jack Marshall - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM

He’s still having a better season than Carl Crawford.

• Alex K - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:51 AM

By fWAR they have been pretty much exactly the same (.2 for Crawford .4 for Cameron).

Cameron:
      .203/.285/.359
      .288 wOBA

Crawford:
      .251/.286/.399
      .301 wOBA

I checked because I saw this and though, “no chance that’s true.” But it is much too close to argue one way or the other. If you want to take points away from Crawford because he makes a ton of money I won’t fault you.

• Jack Marshall - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I was basing my comment on Cameron with the Marlins rather than adding his Sox stats, which were indeed miserable. I’ll take points away from Crawford because he’s played every day, and thus his crumminess had hurt his team much more. And the fact that he’s starting with a contender despite those stats, while Cameron has been found unworthy of subbing with an also-ran.

• Alex K - Sep 13, 2011 at 11:13 AM

That’s fair. I was just surprised it was as close full year as it is.

2. martywinn - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I was going to say 756 OPS for a CF is not bad is it. He is still a CF right?

3. 00ringling00 - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I remember him as a Red… literally, a rocket on the way UP

4. mississippimusicman - Sep 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM

His high OBP will land him a deal somewhere, if he wants one. Question is, would a bench job be enough to make him want to keep playing?

5. bagsy5 - Sep 13, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Have no worries, Mike Cameron — I’m sure Houston will sign you to a large 1-2 year contract (even though there is no other interest).

6. Old Gator - Sep 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Well, the Feesh are now pretty much out of the “veteran leadership” biz. DeWayne Wise, Mike Cameron and Kindly Uncle Wes are all gone now. This year’s run of scrapheap pickups didn’t pan out any nuggets for Larry Beinfest. Law of averages, I guess.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5064)