Sep 13, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
I didn’t watch the Cardinals-Pirates game last night, but my Twitter feed was full of references to Tony La Russa overmanaging the game. Which the Cardinals eventually lost. Shocker, I know. I nearly dropped my bubble pipe I was so gobsmacked.
Anyway, David Schoenfield has a great breakdown of the game over at ESPN’s Sweet Spot today. It’s not just a look at the game, but it’s a great take on La Russa himself. About all that makes him so good but which also drives us so crazy. Here’s a taste:
Fast forward to the bottom of the eighth inning Monday night in Pittsburgh, the Cardinals leading 4-3. It’s September, which means expanded rosters, which is like handing La Russa a blank check and the run of Home Depot. He brought in Shane Robinson to play center field, his third center fielder of the game. He moved Skip Schumacher from center to right, Schumacher’s third position of the game. He brought in Octavio Dotel for Kyle McClellan, who had pitched a perfect, seven-pitch seventh.
Read the whole thing. That is, unless you’re a Cardinals fan who watched that game and many others in which La Russa snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 60
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 142
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (142)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)