Sep 13, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
I didn’t watch the Cardinals-Pirates game last night, but my Twitter feed was full of references to Tony La Russa overmanaging the game. Which the Cardinals eventually lost. Shocker, I know. I nearly dropped my bubble pipe I was so gobsmacked.
Anyway, David Schoenfield has a great breakdown of the game over at ESPN’s Sweet Spot today. It’s not just a look at the game, but it’s a great take on La Russa himself. About all that makes him so good but which also drives us so crazy. Here’s a taste:
Fast forward to the bottom of the eighth inning Monday night in Pittsburgh, the Cardinals leading 4-3. It’s September, which means expanded rosters, which is like handing La Russa a blank check and the run of Home Depot. He brought in Shane Robinson to play center field, his third center fielder of the game. He moved Skip Schumacher from center to right, Schumacher’s third position of the game. He brought in Octavio Dotel for Kyle McClellan, who had pitched a perfect, seven-pitch seventh.
Read the whole thing. That is, unless you’re a Cardinals fan who watched that game and many others in which La Russa snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)