Sep 13, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Many thought Dante Bichette Jr. was an overdraft when the Yankees made him the 51st overall selection this year, but he was a big early success for the Bombers and he was rewarded Tuesday by being named the Gulf Coast League MVP.
Bichette, an 18-year-old third baseman, hit .342/.446/.505 with three homers and 47 RBI in 196 at-bats for the GCL Yankees. He moved up to short-season Single-A Staten Island at the end of the year and went 1-for-8.
As far as Bichette’s status as a prospect, the excellent showing against fellow 18-year-olds definitely helps, though given his background, he always figured to be one of the most advanced players of the league. Time will tell whether he can last at third base or if he’ll require a move to the outfield. Home run power also figures to be a major issue, though that he hit just three homers this year doesn’t mean much.
Bichette’s performance makes him a virtual lock to open next year in the South Atlantic League with the Charleston RiverDogs. He should be able to maintain solid averages throughout the chain. One year each in the Sally League and the Florida State League would put him in Double-A as a 21-year-old in 2014, and by then it should be clear whether he has a future as a major leaguer.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)