Sep 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Astros outfielder Jason Michaels is done for the season after breaking his left hand making a diving catch last night.
Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle reports that Michaels “is scheduled for surgery today to repair a displaced fracture of the fourth left metacarpal bone.”
Michaels has spent a decade in the majors despite logging more than 350 plate appearances just once, way back in 2006 for the Indians, but at age 35 and coming off a .199 batting average his days as a solid fourth outfielder and platoon starter may be over.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 21
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 77
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 43
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 40
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (77)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)