Sep 14, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
It probably doesn’t matter. Late season road trip against the worst team in baseball. Nothing to truly play for at the moment other than good health. The Phillies can be forgiven for dropping a couple of games against the Astros. Charlie Manuel isn’t all that willing to let it slide, however. Here’s Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:
Manuel had strong words for his team during a clubhouse meeting after it played another sloppy game in a 5-2 loss (see game breakdown) to the lowly Houston Astros on Tuesday night. “We had a little talk,” Manuel admitted. “Not a big talk.” The message: “Just be more alert and play the game how we can,” he said.
Manuel was soft-selling the meeting. Word from the clubhouse was he rattled some cages pretty soundly.
I sure hope he didn’t criticize Ryan Howard. Dear Lord, the Phillies fans would turn on him in the drop of a hat!
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)