Former major leaguer Curtis Leskanic arrested for DUI with daughter in car

Sep 14, 2011, 3:15 PM EST

curtis leskanic mugshot

Curtis Leskanic, who last pitched in 2004 after an 11-year career as a reliever for the Rockies, Brewers, Red Sox, and Royals, was arrested over the weekend in Florida for driving with a blood-alcohol level more than four times the legal limit.

Leskanic had a blood-alcohol level of .331, compared to the legal limit of .08, and Gary Taylor of the Orlando Sentinel reports that the 44-year-old was also charged with child neglect because his 5-year-old daughter was asleep in the vehicle.

According to the police report Leskanic’s truck was “swerving all over the road” at around 7:30 pm Sunday and the responding officer found him “hunched over as if he was sleeping.” Once he woke up Leskanic reportedly handed the officer his scout identification card from MLB, failed roadside sobriety tests, and had to be hospitalized after “swearing and exhibiting hostile behavior.”

1. dondada10 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

That’s disgusting.

• bigleagues - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

This happened Sunday. It’s Wednesday now . . . he’s probably just sobering up.

• marshmallowsnake - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM

What an ass! One should never ever drive drunk…but to take your kid in the car with you!!!!!! UNREAL!!!!

• Glenn - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I’m not defending his getting that drunk, but once you are more than four times the legal limit, you just aren’t capable of doing anything reasonable or responsible. The crime is horrible, but he was obviously clueless. It sounds like the man needs some serious help and he should be incredibly thankful that no one was hurt.

2. bigleagues - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM

It would have been responsible for him to allow the 11 year old to drive.

I don’t if the girls Mom is still in the picture, but that isn’t just a DUI. He needs A LOT of help.

• kopy - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM

5 year old girl, 11 year career in MLB

• bigleagues - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Thanks for the correction.

It would have been more responsible to let the 5 year old drive.

3. kopy - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I’m often quite cavalier about a fun night of drinking (but not driving, don’t flame me), but .331 is pretty effin’ drunk. That’s not “Oh, damn my luck, a trooper is pulling me over”, that’s swerving across the entire road and landing in a ditch.

• nolanwiffle - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

It’s actually damn near comatose.

• bigleagues - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM

It’s alcohol poisoning levels. It’s someone who lacks the switch to stop. He’s not only deadly dangerous to his kid, but to anyone within driving distance.

I’m not going to judge the guy beyond the fact that he has a very severe medical problem that needs addressing and a commitment to stay away from the booze altogether.

• b7p19 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’m 100% with you. And I’ll add that being that drunk within 3 miles of your 5 year old daughter is unacceptable, let alone driving with her in the car.

4. Chris St. John - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM

No need to panic, we’ve got Leskanic (under arrest)

5. zachcomtois - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM

.331. Slightly lower than his batting average against with the red sox.

6. Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Seriously, that’s extremely over the limit. .331 is that even possible? I don’t think a person can live if a third of his blood is composed of alcohol. He could be combustible at that level.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Just ignore that ever said that. I had what’s known as a brain fart. Yes, I know, that’s one third of one percent. I’m going to go now….

7. jackkoho - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM

.331. If I were writing this piece, I would have written, “with a blood-alcohol level over four times the legal limit.”

• b7p19 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Bloggers and math don’t go together to well aparently.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM

It’s in the first paragraph.

• b7p19 - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM

It used to say “almost” four times the legal limit.

8. ramblingalb - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

His BA level was 0.331%, not 33%.

• clydeserra - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

At that point, what’s the difference?

• jackkoho - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Two orders of magnitude.

9. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

That is simply a disgrace and he should be thrown in jail and lose custody of his daughter. I have a daughter who is almost 4 and while I like to drink the occasional beer, I have NEVER had a drink while in her company. Why would I want to drink while taking care of a 3 year old??? That’s ridiculous to begin with…then he DRIVES with his 5 year old UNRESTRAINED????? With a blood alcohol level 4 times the limit? I would like to see him go away for 3 years at the minimum. Or at least until his daughter is old enough to tell him to go f**k himself when he wants to take her for a ride.

• The Baseball Idiot - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I have a 7-year old. I don’t drink in front of her – her mother does – and I would never drive under the influence, but taking custody away from him at this stage isn’t the answer.

He obviously needs help, but there is a lot more to the situation than we know. Beyond the drinking and the stupidity of this incident, he might be a good father, or as good as he can be. Being an alcoholic doesn’t mean being a bad father. If he gets help, there’s no reason to believe he can’t continue to be, or become, a good father.

Losing custody just gives us another kid without a father, and there are way too many around as it is.

Before you propose something so drastic, there are a lot of things that need be looked at first. Overreacting isn’t the answer. Help is.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Sorry, TBI, but at the very least, he should not be allowed to be with his 5 year old daughter without supervision. I don’t care about how drastic it is. He had his 5 year old in the car without any seatbelts or booster seat or anything, and had a blood-alcohol level 4 times above the limit, was asleep at the wheel and had to be woken up twice…ALL WHILE HIS 5 year old was asleep in the truck.

What if, God Forbid, she wakes up, and gets out of the car in the middle of the highway and gets blasted by an 18 wheeler??? Are you seriously picking up for this scumbag who would do this to his 5 year old? If you are, then that’s just insane.

I know he needs help…and when he gets it and shows he can live without drinking, THEN AND ONLY THEN should he be allowed to be with his daughter without supervision.

• The Baseball Idiot - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Supervised visits until he can help, or while receiving help, is a reasonable solution, and can be done voluntarily on a temporary basis.

Losing custody, or parental rights, or visitation, is a court-ordered issue, and is lot harder to get back once it is taken away.

I’m not advocating he get a chance to do this again. I’m advocating against overreacting (not just you, lots of people) and looking at what’s best for the child in the long run.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I drink in front of my son. It’s beer and I’m never drunk. It’s been years since I’ve been drunk actually. I don’t think drinking in front of a child is “wrong” as long as it’s done responsibly. This guy sounds like he drank a case of beer in 3 hours and then decided to drive with his kid. Both, very unacceptable circumstances. I’m glad he was locked up before he had the chance to hurt anyone. What a dumbass…

• Alex K - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I agree, Chris. He shouldn’t be able to be around her alone until he has demonstrated that he can do so responibly.

I don’t think I’ve had more than two beers in the presence of my 9 month old, and I don’t ever plan to have more than that, either.

10. cur68 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

How sure are they of that BAC? Frankly he’s got the constitution of The Hulk to even be able to start the damn car much less drive it with that BAC. Most people are in a stupor or unconscious by 0.3%. A good portion of the population is in a coma by 0.33. You are damn near dead at around 0.4.

WTF is the matter with some people? Even with a BAC half that he should be in a taxi, never mind driving with his 5 year old in the vehicle. Whole thing makes me sick.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Agreed. I have heard of people hospitalized for alcohol poisoning at 0.28. Granted people have different chemistry and tolerances…but D*MN!

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Just as an athlete can condition to run more. An alcoholic can also condition himself to handle more alcohol. Now go watch “Beerfest” they’ll learn you all about it.

• b7p19 - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Done, Beerfest it is.

“We’re not that drunk!”

• ezwriter69 - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Chronic drunks walk around with a baseline of 0.25 or more… your body does acclimate over time, and bac’s that would kill us are quite tolerable for the street-bum level drunk… I’ve seen 0.5+ levels in conversant very much awake drunks (worked in ER’s for years)… but to be driving at 0.3+ means his baseline if way high, this dude drinks hard, every day of his life, and may not have had a legal bac at any time for years.

• cur68 - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I had no idea that was the case with chronic drinkers. So, in all likelihood, he’s been driving drunk for years? Oh goody. Well that about seals the deal if I think he should be around his children or not. It’s gonna be ugly as he dries out. I certainly hope he’s been checked into a hospital or de-tox facility for it.

11. brewcrewchamps - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:56 AM

I remember this guy..I got his autograph wayy back. Crazy mofo I’m pretty sure.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5889)