I’ll be on NBC SportsTalk tonight at 6

Sep 14, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT

old TV

Because you guys simply don’t have enough access to my opinions, I feel obligated to let you know that tonight I will be making my debut on NBC SportsTalk, our new studio show on the Versus Network.  The show comes on at 6PM Eastern.

I’ll be the bald gent with the horn-rimmed glasses offering my views on the baseball developments of the day. Don’t worry, though: Russ Thaler is hosting and he actually knows what the hell he’s doing.  I’ll probably come off a lot like this.

As a result of the show, I’ll be out for a couple hours this afternoon.  No, not to tape or prep or anything. Since I’m goin’ all showbiz, I gotta get the teeth capped, the crow’s feet botoxed and there’s a lot of waxing to be done.

Well, the waxing has nothing to do with the TV appearance. Just thought I’d offer it in the interests of full disclosure.  Here’s hoping that I don’t humiliate myself any more than I usually do.

1. Panda Claus - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Russ Thaler was our local Comcast Sportsnet guy in the DC-MD area, you’ll enjoy him.

Is the VERSUS network going to change its name to something that sounds more like NBC?

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Yep. First of the year it changes to NBC Sports Network.

• trevorb06 - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Do you seriously have to beautify and prep for this like you’re saying? That’s just kind of humiliating. :-P Plus, why wouldn’t they take Tiffany over you? She’s nicer to look at.

2. CJ - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Will you be sporting the bathrobe and bubble pipe?

Don’t forget the slippers too…I’ve always wondered they have Bobby Cox’s (or another Braves’ icon) face on each foot, or are they made from Phanatic hide?

Inquiring minds NEED to know. FC, please take a peek in Craig’s closet next time you’re allowed down there and let us know. Be careful though, never know what you might find in there…

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

“or are they made from Phanatic hide?”

The Phanatic is invincible. He has kryptonite fused to his DNA. He is the only creature known that can kill Superman (and no, Batman can’t do it).

Therfore, there can be no “Phanatic hide slippers”.

• CJ - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Then how do you explain the Phanatic rug in Craig’s lair? Are you insinuating it’s a fake? I smell a conspiract theory

• trevorb06 - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Superman is rather lame. “Hey guys! Let’s make a comic book character that is essentially invincible with no flaws and unlimited powers! The only way to kill him is with a magic rock that doesn’t even exist on earth! Take that batman, spiderman, fantastic 4 and all the rest of you mortal superheroes” At least with Batman you’re on the edge of your seat… wait, you’re probably reclined in your bathroom… but still at least with him he can get hurt by normal means.
        Superman = lame
        Batman = cool :-)

Let the games begin!

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM

CJ, it’s no more than a Grizzly bear rug painted green……

Trevor,
        Superman would rather be lame and live, then to be mortal and “cool”, like your hero Batman.

• Panda Claus - Sep 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Probably using that phantastically phaux Phanatic hide then, made in the Philippines as I hear.

3. b7p19 - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I’m pretty nervous for you. Something tells me this may not go as planned. You’ll probably do fine, but I’m hoping you give us some ammo to use against you. I would recommend a shout-out of some sort to the minions.

4. proudlycanadian - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I wonder if you got this gig because (a) you are better looking than the other Hard Ball Talk writers or (b) you are more articulate due to your legal training.

• b7p19 - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I’m guessing C) He’s the boss

• CJ - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I thought c) was the opposite of a: they needed someone not as good looking next to Ross so that Ross can feel better about himself.

Jsut kidding Craig! (and Ross).

• trevorb06 - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Maybe they need comic relief?

5. goawaydog - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Two words: bubble pipe!

• purnellmeagrejr - Sep 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Bubbler?

6. natstowngreg - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Full disclosure is good. The waxing thing was over disclosure.

• CJ - Sep 14, 2011 at 12:19 PM

no way he can rock the bathrobe on TV without waxing first though. I’m sure NBC negotiated that in his contract.

7. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I’ll tune in – Versus Network … let me see .. that’s Channel 23152, right?

8. yankeesfanlen - Sep 14, 2011 at 1:32 PM

NBC Studio-in-the basement, 5:57 PM EDT 9/14/11http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA9lFsiut2Q

9. yankeesfanlen - Sep 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM

10. royalsfaninfargo - Sep 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Be sure to bitch slap Florio!

11. ditto65 - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:45 PM

SO I’m watching you talk to Russ about round numbers Rivera and Wakefield achieved. And you aren’t saying anything about the arbitrary nature of the round number, and your not saying anything about either man’s career being any different without the round number. And I’m thinking that you are just conna let this go because it is TV and you like the gig, when you make it all better by pointing those things out, ending your short-lived television career before it really started.

And I was sad.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Then you weren’t watching closely. I specifically said that Wakefield’s career would be thought of differently by no one if he had 199 wins instead of 200 and specifically said that round numbers don’t mean anything, even if they make us feel good.

Seriously. I even taped it. It’s on there.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Oh, wait. I think I mistook what you were saying. Never mind. Carry on. And yes, I am going to do everything I can to sabotage my budding TV career. That is, if loving round numbers and stuff means sabotaging it.

• ditto65 - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Yeah – I wasn’t very clear. I blame my two year old girl running imaginary bases in our living room for the uncomfortable style of my prose.

Seriously, I thought it was great. And I am glad to hear you are going to be a regular contributor.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate