Sep 14, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Major League Baseball has announced the 2012 schedule this morning. The season begins on Wednesday, April 4. It ends on Wednesday, October 3. In between: lots of baseball games.
There will be a single game at the Marlins new stadium — make that the Miami Marlins new stadium — on the 4th, with the Cardinals coming in to visit. Presumably a prime time game. There will be six games on Thursday the 4th and ten games on Friday the 5th. The first day with a full slate of games will be Saturday the 6th. Which means I won’t have a full night of red-eye-scanning box scores for “And That Happened” until Sunday evening the 7th. Nice way to ease our way into things.
Weirdness: a full four-days off for the All-Star break. Games will resume on the Friday after the Midsummer Classic, not Thursday. Which makes a lot of sense. The press release says this about the interleague schedule:
The 16th season of Interleague Play will feature many renewals of past World Series, including Reds-Yankees and Pirates-Tigers (starting May 18th); Mets-Yankees, Phillies-Orioles, Astros-White Sox, Blue Jays-Braves, Tigers-Reds and Rangers-Giants (starting June 8th) …
So for those Tigers fans who have been waiting since 1909 for some sweet revenge against the dreaded Pirates, you now have your chance! Vengeance shall be yours!
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)