Sep 14, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Major League Baseball has announced the 2012 schedule this morning. The season begins on Wednesday, April 4. It ends on Wednesday, October 3. In between: lots of baseball games.
There will be a single game at the Marlins new stadium — make that the Miami Marlins new stadium — on the 4th, with the Cardinals coming in to visit. Presumably a prime time game. There will be six games on Thursday the 4th and ten games on Friday the 5th. The first day with a full slate of games will be Saturday the 6th. Which means I won’t have a full night of red-eye-scanning box scores for “And That Happened” until Sunday evening the 7th. Nice way to ease our way into things.
Weirdness: a full four-days off for the All-Star break. Games will resume on the Friday after the Midsummer Classic, not Thursday. Which makes a lot of sense. The press release says this about the interleague schedule:
The 16th season of Interleague Play will feature many renewals of past World Series, including Reds-Yankees and Pirates-Tigers (starting May 18th); Mets-Yankees, Phillies-Orioles, Astros-White Sox, Blue Jays-Braves, Tigers-Reds and Rangers-Giants (starting June 8th) …
So for those Tigers fans who have been waiting since 1909 for some sweet revenge against the dreaded Pirates, you now have your chance! Vengeance shall be yours!
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 17
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)