Sep 14, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Major League Baseball has announced the 2012 schedule this morning. The season begins on Wednesday, April 4. It ends on Wednesday, October 3. In between: lots of baseball games.
There will be a single game at the Marlins new stadium — make that the Miami Marlins new stadium — on the 4th, with the Cardinals coming in to visit. Presumably a prime time game. There will be six games on Thursday the 4th and ten games on Friday the 5th. The first day with a full slate of games will be Saturday the 6th. Which means I won’t have a full night of red-eye-scanning box scores for “And That Happened” until Sunday evening the 7th. Nice way to ease our way into things.
Weirdness: a full four-days off for the All-Star break. Games will resume on the Friday after the Midsummer Classic, not Thursday. Which makes a lot of sense. The press release says this about the interleague schedule:
The 16th season of Interleague Play will feature many renewals of past World Series, including Reds-Yankees and Pirates-Tigers (starting May 18th); Mets-Yankees, Phillies-Orioles, Astros-White Sox, Blue Jays-Braves, Tigers-Reds and Rangers-Giants (starting June 8th) …
So for those Tigers fans who have been waiting since 1909 for some sweet revenge against the dreaded Pirates, you now have your chance! Vengeance shall be yours!
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 26
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)