Sep 14, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT
The defending World Series champion Giants will be left out of the postseason picture this October.
As you might expect, that’s not sitting well with some members of the organization. Members who have the power to make changes at the very top.
According to Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants’ executive owners committee — a group consisting of the franchise’s 10 primary investors — has decided that CEO and general managing partner Bill Neukom will be removed from his role at the conclusion of the 2011 season.
The timing may seem odd given San Francisco’s triumphant run last October, but Purdy says the issues with Neukom go beyond this year’s second-place finish. According to insider sources, Neukom did a poor job of keeping the executive committee “informed about his choices and actions” during his tenure as chief executive officer. Instead, Purdy writes, “some of the owners first read about those decisions in news reports.”
It’s doubtful many details will leak about which decisions specifically caught the ire of the other investors. And the Giants are likely to announce this move as a front-office “restructuring” rather than a firing or demotion.
Neukom joined the Giants’ ownership group in 1995 and became the first principal owner to guide the club to a World Series crown since Horace Stoneham in 1954, when the franchise was located in New York.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 29
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 60
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 105
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (105)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)