Sep 14, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT
The defending World Series champion Giants will be left out of the postseason picture this October.
As you might expect, that’s not sitting well with some members of the organization. Members who have the power to make changes at the very top.
According to Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants’ executive owners committee — a group consisting of the franchise’s 10 primary investors — has decided that CEO and general managing partner Bill Neukom will be removed from his role at the conclusion of the 2011 season.
The timing may seem odd given San Francisco’s triumphant run last October, but Purdy says the issues with Neukom go beyond this year’s second-place finish. According to insider sources, Neukom did a poor job of keeping the executive committee “informed about his choices and actions” during his tenure as chief executive officer. Instead, Purdy writes, “some of the owners first read about those decisions in news reports.”
It’s doubtful many details will leak about which decisions specifically caught the ire of the other investors. And the Giants are likely to announce this move as a front-office “restructuring” rather than a firing or demotion.
Neukom joined the Giants’ ownership group in 1995 and became the first principal owner to guide the club to a World Series crown since Horace Stoneham in 1954, when the franchise was located in New York.
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 0
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 63
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)