Rockies catcher Eliezer Alfonzo suspended for 100 games for PEDs

Sep 14, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT

Colorado Rockies v San Diego Padres Getty Images

Colorado Rockies catcher Eliezer Alfonzo has received a 100-game suspension after a second positive test for a performance-enhancing substance.  The suspension takes effect immediately.  His first suspension came back in 2008 when he was with the Giants.

Alfonso played 25 games for the Rockies this year and notched a .267/.304/.320 line in 79 plate appearances.  Which is more or less the player he has been over 624 plate appearances in his six-season major league career with the Giants, Padres, Mariners and Colorado.

So I guess it means that Alfonzo has gotten some pretty pathetic PEDs.

1. grapes911 - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM

This guys is stupid for purchasing the cheap traceable stuff. You think he would have learned his lesson last time.

2. tuftsb - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I agree. How can you call them performance enhancing drugs with that statistical line? I think that he has a good case to sue the manufacturer for fraud.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Imagine how much lower his stats would be without them, hyuk hyuk :D

3. Francisco (FC) - Sep 14, 2011 at 4:56 PM

This brings to mind the ongoing debate on how much PEDs can affect performance. I remember someone saying that if these items were so prevalent why didn’t we see 20 players hitting 50 or 60 homeruns a year and so on. I think the issue is more complicated. I wonder what’s the crackdown rate, for each guy caught and suspended how many have eluded the testing system?

And of those using, how much of it is truly helping them?

4. Francisco (FC) - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Oh and I’m sad to say this guy is from Venezuela… *sigh*

• Old Gator - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:22 PM

On the other hand, Venezuela is probably pleased to say that since he’s from there, he’s not there anymore.

Incidentally, the pods are starting to swell and show signs of cracking on the hallaca tree in my back yard. Must be getting close to Christmas.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline