Sep 14, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
Ted Williams’ daughter released a statement yesterday announcing that she’ll be auctioning off the Hall of Famer’s awards and memorabilia to raise money for The Jimmy Fund:
The time has come in my life to let go of some of my father’s awards and personal memorabilia. I have struggled with this decision for the past 10 years, but the reality is, these items have remained locked away in a storage unit.
So many people have asked to view these items or obtain them for their own personal collection. Everyone will have a better opportunity to enjoy the pieces that chronicle the life of my dad from his baseball career to his fishing exploits to his military service.
Included among the items is the 1949 AL MVP award, a 1946 AL championship ring, a Hall of Fame induction ring, a bat used in the All-Star game, and a baseball that Babe Ruth signed.
No word yet on exactly when the auction will take place, but it’ll come at some point next season as part of the Red Sox celebrating the 100-year anniversary of Fenway Park. If we all start saving up right now, maybe we can go 365-way partners on the MVP award and everyone can keep it at their house for a day each year?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)