Sep 14, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
Ted Williams’ daughter released a statement yesterday announcing that she’ll be auctioning off the Hall of Famer’s awards and memorabilia to raise money for The Jimmy Fund:
The time has come in my life to let go of some of my father’s awards and personal memorabilia. I have struggled with this decision for the past 10 years, but the reality is, these items have remained locked away in a storage unit.
So many people have asked to view these items or obtain them for their own personal collection. Everyone will have a better opportunity to enjoy the pieces that chronicle the life of my dad from his baseball career to his fishing exploits to his military service.
Included among the items is the 1949 AL MVP award, a 1946 AL championship ring, a Hall of Fame induction ring, a bat used in the All-Star game, and a baseball that Babe Ruth signed.
No word yet on exactly when the auction will take place, but it’ll come at some point next season as part of the Red Sox celebrating the 100-year anniversary of Fenway Park. If we all start saving up right now, maybe we can go 365-way partners on the MVP award and everyone can keep it at their house for a day each year?
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 33
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)