Sep 14, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
Ted Williams’ daughter released a statement yesterday announcing that she’ll be auctioning off the Hall of Famer’s awards and memorabilia to raise money for The Jimmy Fund:
The time has come in my life to let go of some of my father’s awards and personal memorabilia. I have struggled with this decision for the past 10 years, but the reality is, these items have remained locked away in a storage unit.
So many people have asked to view these items or obtain them for their own personal collection. Everyone will have a better opportunity to enjoy the pieces that chronicle the life of my dad from his baseball career to his fishing exploits to his military service.
Included among the items is the 1949 AL MVP award, a 1946 AL championship ring, a Hall of Fame induction ring, a bat used in the All-Star game, and a baseball that Babe Ruth signed.
No word yet on exactly when the auction will take place, but it’ll come at some point next season as part of the Red Sox celebrating the 100-year anniversary of Fenway Park. If we all start saving up right now, maybe we can go 365-way partners on the MVP award and everyone can keep it at their house for a day each year?
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)