Ted Williams’ daughter is auctioning off his stuff for charity

Sep 14, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT

Ted Williams

Ted Williams’ daughter released a statement yesterday announcing that she’ll be auctioning off the Hall of Famer’s awards and memorabilia to raise money for The Jimmy Fund:

The time has come in my life to let go of some of my father’s awards and personal memorabilia. I have struggled with this decision for the past 10 years, but the reality is, these items have remained locked away in a storage unit.

So many people have asked to view these items or obtain them for their own personal collection. Everyone will have a better opportunity to enjoy the pieces that chronicle the life of my dad from his baseball career to his fishing exploits to his military service.

Included among the items is the 1949 AL MVP award, a 1946 AL championship ring, a Hall of Fame induction ring, a bat used in the All-Star game, and a baseball that Babe Ruth signed.

No word yet on exactly when the auction will take place, but it’ll come at some point next season as part of the Red Sox celebrating the 100-year anniversary of Fenway Park. If we all start saving up right now, maybe we can go 365-way partners on the MVP award and everyone can keep it at their house for a day each year?

1. The Baseball Idiot - Sep 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM

How much goes to the Jimmy Fund and how much goes to her? She doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to issues like this.

• JBerardi - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Hey, the last time you sold some of your personal belongings, how much of the proceeds did you give to the Jimmy Fund?

It’s a little weird to criticize her for not giving enough to the Jimmy fund when there’s no actual reason for her to give ANY of it away. It’s HER stuff, not some kind of public trust.

• The Baseball Idiot - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM

The stuff isn’t public trust, as you said. But it smacks of a publicity stunt.

By saying the money is going to the Jimmy Fund, she has most likely bumped the price by at least a third, as people are always willing to give to a charity and not an individual.

If it’s not a publicity stunt, why release a public statement? Auction houses know who the collectors are and are perfectly capable of getting the word out to those who are interested in this kind of item.

She’s well within her rights to not give any money to the Jimmy Fund. But using it as springboard to bump the profits that go into her pocket doesn’t make her an altruistic person.

• paperlions - Sep 14, 2011 at 8:50 PM

So fucking what?

Does it matter to you or anyone what she does with her own stuff?

Of course you advertise an auction….that is how people know you are selling stuff, did you expect her to staple fliers to power poles around her neighborhood?

If any of it goes to the Jimmy fund, it is more than you are doing to be selfless for others….so shut it.

• The Baseball Idiot - Sep 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Are you telling me I’m not allowed to express my opinion in a public forum? That’s makes you a complete jackass.

Using the Jimmy Fund to boost the profits from the sale so she can make money is a despicable act. Agreeing that’s okay for her to do it makes you a despicable person.

If she gives 100$ of the profit to the Jimmy Fund, I’ll apologize. Until then, she’s not better than a whore walking the street and you’re just her pimp.

2. deathmonkey41 - Sep 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Is she auctioning off his frozen head?

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I doubt it can be worth as much as it used to be. I mean with the damage and all. You know how collectors are.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM

You can fix anything with a little Bondo.

• phukyouk - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

how the FU*K did a can of Tuna get stuck to his head?

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Man, they sent his head to a place that put heads on empty tuna cans as pedestals. WTF……. Then apparently the procedure to remove it involves a large wrench? It’s pretty much abuse of a corpse imo.

3. The Common Man - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I am fairly excited about your idea, Craig, but fear that the time it takes to move the award from one house to another would complicate matters. Maybe we can go 182-sies, and alternate who gets it on the 365th day?

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Psst! Hey TCM, don’t look now, but that was Aaron.

• kopy - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Quick, edit the post!

• The Common Man - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Hey jerk, can’t you read by-lines? Oh wait, the jerk was me. In my defense, this story had was much more Craig-flavor than Aaron-flavor.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I swear I won’t tell Ceps about this.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Yeah, true. Aaron is usually all about the numbers. Or eating your Ketchup warm. Stuff like that.

• phukyouk - Sep 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Yea i was thinking the same thing. I was going to make a comment about the frozen head but someone beat me to it but i needed to check to see if it was a Craig thread or not.

All the trade deadline news to know