Sep 14, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
Ted Williams’ daughter released a statement yesterday announcing that she’ll be auctioning off the Hall of Famer’s awards and memorabilia to raise money for The Jimmy Fund:
The time has come in my life to let go of some of my father’s awards and personal memorabilia. I have struggled with this decision for the past 10 years, but the reality is, these items have remained locked away in a storage unit.
So many people have asked to view these items or obtain them for their own personal collection. Everyone will have a better opportunity to enjoy the pieces that chronicle the life of my dad from his baseball career to his fishing exploits to his military service.
Included among the items is the 1949 AL MVP award, a 1946 AL championship ring, a Hall of Fame induction ring, a bat used in the All-Star game, and a baseball that Babe Ruth signed.
No word yet on exactly when the auction will take place, but it’ll come at some point next season as part of the Red Sox celebrating the 100-year anniversary of Fenway Park. If we all start saving up right now, maybe we can go 365-way partners on the MVP award and everyone can keep it at their house for a day each year?
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 2
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 33
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (112)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)