The Phillies clinch a playoff spot

Sep 14, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT

Roy Halladay

And now for the most inevitable thing since Newton’s Laws: the Phillies have clinched a playoff spot.

Philadelphia beat the Astros 1-0 today behind Roy Halladay‘s first shutout of the season. Indeed, it was the first shutout for any Phillies pitcher this season not named Cliff Lee. Lee has six.  Halladay scattered six hits and struck out seven.  It was his 18th of the year.  The whole game took two hours and six minutes. It’s almost as if these guys had a plane to catch or something.

As Matt Gelb tweeted, this is the earliest the Phillies have ever clinched a playoff spot.  They clinched the pennant in 1915 in 148 games.  Today was the Phillies’ 146th.

1. clydeserra - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Watch Phillie fans make this into a Phillies post

• cktai - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:41 AM

You seem to be confused. Only in posts that are not about the Phillies do Phillies attempt to make it into a Phillies post.

In posts that are already about the Phillies, the first couple of posts are usually made by trolls trying to make fun of the Phillies Phans.

2. drewmunny - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Wait for it, wait for it…….

3. Francisco (FC) - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM

It’s also worth noting that in 1915 they played 154 games a season so in terms of season portion it’s probably more remarkable, since in 1915 when they clinched they only played 4 more games (they played 152, obviously two games were canceled and never replayed). This edition of the Phillies will play 16 more games.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:09 PM

And there it is

4. proudlycanadian - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I am rooting for another Cy Young for Doc.

5. espfdps - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Why wouldnt phillies fans make this into a phillies post??? Its about the phillies idiot!!!

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:28 PM

*Holds up sign* –> SARCASM

• cur68 - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM

We need to designate a font or something for that. My 2012 HBT wish list includes an edit function, a designated sarcasm/irony/’I’m kidding’ font and a board wide consensus on the qualities of being a “douchebag” (that last I really mean. We throw that one around too much. Waters it down. In order for the term to retain just the right astringency {pH ~ 2.4} we need to be more judicious with the use).

You’ve already locked up italics for “anything we imagine Craig gets up to in his basement”.

6. proudlycanadian - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM

In non Phillies news, the Jayes beat the Red Sox. Blue Jay hero’s were Ricky Romero, Adam Loewen and Josh Bard. We miss Doc, but Romero shows signs of becoming a true ACE!

• proudlycanadian - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I guess that I got the thumbs down because I got Bard’s first name wrong. It can’t be because Red Sox fans are in a panic mode.

• natstowngreg - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Not to worry. It’s because you were intruding on a Phillies thread. The Phillies infestation seems in even less good a humor as usual today.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Well, not just that you were intruding on a Phillies thread, but that no one really cares about the Blue Jays.

7. cur68 - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Well, since no one didn’t expect this, I’ll hold back on the whoopin’ and hollerin’ and just tip the old Blue Jay’s cap to Harry LeRoy Halladay III. Puts an end to this ‘losing to the Astros’ silliness.

• natstowngreg - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Surprising that this was Halladay’s first shutout of the season.

• cur68 - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Actually Greg, it is. I was kind of shocked to find out that Clifton Phifer Lee has 6 of ‘em and this is Harry LeRoy’s 1st. Mind you I’ve lost count of how many CG’s that cyborg has thrown over his career. When the warranty goes on that chassis I don’t wanna see the wreckage that ensues, but till then, what machine.

8. gallaghedj311 - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

What to the Phillies and Dallas Cowboys have in common?? Both teams could lose the remainder of regular season games and no one in Philadelphia would really care!!

• Utley's Hair - Sep 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I’m going to have to disagree with you there. You really think Philadelphia fans wouldn’t care if the Cowboys lost the rest of their games? Nope…Philadelphia fans would be ecstatic over that.

9. BG-BG-BG-BG! - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I think it’s safe to say that the Phillies have been the most consistent team in baseball this year. Even with the recent 3 game slide and lack off runs today. I remember this time last year I was biting my nails because they were so inconsistent. The key here was the replacement of Werth with Pence. You will never doubt that Pence gives 110% every-time. Gotta respect that! This is the year for the Phillies!

• Old Phaithful - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM

We can only hope. Baseball is weird. Did you see that play last night where the ball went through Maybury’s legs? It was like a ghost walking through a wall. The ball went through his glove as mysteriously as Cody Ross’ balls flew off his bat in the playoffs last year. Yes, we’re the best team in baseball as of right now. Tigers are coming on strong. It means nothing in the playoffs. Go Phils!

10. nocryinginbaseball07 - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM

We also, along with the aforementioned, need a “Troll Identification System” with an automatic rebuttal feature.

• cur68 - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Bet you wished you had that edit function right now, eh?

• nocryinginbaseball07 - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Oh, yeah!

11. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Ok, so I am watching that NBC Sportstalk show on Versus and Craig is on. I would like to point out that he used the term “should get consideration” when referring to Ian Kennedy and the Cy Young. Not that he is wrong, but didn’t he post a column a few days ago saying how much he hated that term?

• yankeesgameday - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I think he had a problem with “in the conversation” but being the lawyer HR us at heart, he can safely say “should get consideration” without having to backtrack.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I didn’t see it. But If I were to guess, he said it to be a smarta$$. Sure he should be considered, then told “no, but he was considered”.

12. yankeesgameday - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM

For no other reason than to derail this thread, I just noticed the Filipino Cupid ad on the right side if this page. Is that directed at Phillie Filipino fans (ooooh illiteration) or was that just a weird coincidence? And what does it say about where you guys click after visiting this site that the advertising guys are selling ads to Filipino dating services?

I’m just a little scared tbh.

• Old Phaithful - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I gave you the thumbs up because you made me laugh. Thanks for that. I just went through the bother of logging in to notify you that I did not get an ad for Filipino dating. I got an ad for google. So, I think it has more to do with where you click, rather than the rest of us Phillies fans. Still, thanks for the laugh!

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Since these things tend to advertise according to the user’s surfing activities… have you been active on Filipino sites lately? Or maybe say, sites with Filipino ladies on them…

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate