The Red Sox lose again

Sep 14, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

The Red Sox are intent on making this interesting, aren’t they?

Boston had a 4-2 lead in the eighth inning when all hell broke loose. Daniel Bard came in to start things off and walked the first two batters. Then he threw the ball away on a sacrifice attempt, loading the bases. Then Edwin Encarnacion scored on a groundout that should have been a double-play ball (Kevin Youkilis bobbled it) followed by a two-run single by Adam Loewen to give the Jays the 5-4 lead they’d never relinquish.

So the Rays are three and a half back as they take the field against Baltimore this evening.  And of course, they start a four-game series with Boston tomorrow. The same Boston Red Sox who have lost six of seven games.

Fasten your seat belts.

1. toosoxy - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Frustrating. That’s really the only word that describes the September Sox. And Daniel Bard is broken. Clearly.

• cur68 - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Youkalis is in pain, that much is obvious. I do believe he needs to siddown for a bit. It hurts me to see him gasping and wincing with every swing or diving stop he makes.

Also, Varitek must be made of solid oak or something; trucked by Lawrie, a kid about half his age, holds onto the ball, gets the out, and stays in the game. The Kid? Day to day with contusions. And probably oak splinters.

Don’t blame Bard, though. You cannot stop Adam Loewen, you can only hope to contain him and the 3 inch screw in his left elbow. They adjust that thing to vary his swing, you know.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Bard is a Blue Jay folk hero. The last time he faced the Jays, he gave up 5 runs in the 8th inning. Too bad he did not pitch last night. Adam Loewen, a converted pitcher, drove in the winning run.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Why is Bard still pitching the 8th? Why was he still pitching after he walked the first 2 guys? How long of a leash can the kid possibly have?

• bigharold - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM

“How long of a leash can the kid possibly have?”

Long enough to determine whether there is even a snow flake’s chance in Hades the he’ll be able to replace Papelbon next year or will the RS be forced to back the Brinks truck up to Papelbon’s house. The answer is getting clearer by the minute.

4. protectthishouse54 - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Just the Sox sticking to the storyline.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM

The Sox were off script yesterday, but got back on it today.

5. funkygoorilla - Sep 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM

As a Yankee fan, I lu-lu-lu-lu-lu luv this!

6. iamthedoublestandard - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I love how, to explain his (Bard) latest beat down, Olney gets on twitter and talks about how Bard’s avg velocity is down by one mph. Really? That’s why he’s getting hit? He’s getting hit because all he does is throw hard in a straight line. Any major leaguer is gonna hit a ball that’s straight. He’s not throwing anything with a hook or anything that tails – and that’s the reason he’s getting knocked around. Buster, can I have your job? Can’t believe he gets paid for this garbage.

7. urteamsux52 - Sep 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

hell yeah losers you paid so much money for what you got crawford from us no we will take your playoff spot big bunch of losers fits the city they play in with your ugly girls GO RAYS

8. rollinghighwayblues - Sep 14, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I wouldn’t say Bard threw away the ball on the sac bunt attempt. Granted it was an poor throw but a MLB first baseman should’ve been able to handle it…wait..Lars Anderson was at first. Dammit, ok, even a AAA first baseman should’ve been able to handle it.

9. urteamsux52 - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:33 PM

highwayblueballs he was trained by bill bunkner its how you all play. waste of money you all spent to come up short. its great for your city you all deserve to lose fits the losers girls you all have

• rollinghighwayblues - Sep 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM

“waste of money you all spent”
      I don’t work in the Red Sox front office nor do I get a paycheck with their logo on it, so no I essentially spent nothing on the Red Sox coming up “short”, albeit still leading the wild card.

“great for your city”
      I went to Boston once in my life, that was in the 7th grade. I claim nothing of Boston.

Again, douchey troll.

10. pisano - Sep 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I’ll say one thing Papelbum should be kissing Bard’s feet. Bard is personally seeing to it that Papelbum will be resigned with his (Bard’s) horrible outings lately. Maybe Papelbum will share his free agent money with Bard.

11. urteamsux52 - Sep 15, 2011 at 12:12 AM

rollingcausemamgaveublueballs
    you make nosence you root for redsox. yet you never been there but once. i said waste of money you all meaning the team you root for. oh thats right they lose your comeback is i never been there. u should go live in boston sound just like them. even bandwagoners of the redsox act like they live there. redsox draw guy who cant get laid and or surrounded by ugly chicks.

• rollinghighwayblues - Sep 15, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Let’s set the record straight, I became a fan of the Red Sox in 1997 when Nomar came upon the scene. He was the sole reason I became a fan of the team. Oh yeah, I was 7 years old on Opening Day 1997. I have rooted for and kept track of the team since then. I guess you could consider me a bandwagon fan since the Red Sox finished fourth in the AL East and 20 games out of first place. I always forget that bandwagon fans come out of the woodwork when a team goes 78 and 84.

• trotnixonisbestnixon - Sep 15, 2011 at 1:25 AM

urteam, it’s one thing to talk trash, it’s a completely different thing to act like a damn fool, and a completely ignorant one at that. Sure, I could go on and on about how the Red Sox (and the rest of MLB, for that matter) have manhandled the Rays for the majority of their existence, but I have a feeling that would be lost on you. I could absolutely brag about how the ‘Red Sux’ have as many World Series trophies in the past decade as the Rays have playoff appearances. Yes, I could go into the details of how the rest of the AL East perennially tied the Devil Rays up and threw them into the divisional basement. There’s all sorts of great, psyche-shredding scenarios I could use on you, but I think the easiest thing is to simply accept that you’re either an idiot or are too young to remember when the Rays sucked. Quite frankly, I find both possibilities to be humorous.

12. yankeefanincolo - Sep 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Let’s not be too hard on urteam… English is obviously not his first language so maybe he is not understanding your posts.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2899)