Sep 14, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
As Hawk Harrelson would say if he weren’t limited to moans and groans at the moment, the Tigers have owned the White Sox this year. They rallied from three runs down in the ninth and prevailed 6-5 in the 10th today, giving them a 12th straight victory.
It’s the longest winning streak by a team this year and the longest for the Tigers since 1934. They finished the season series with the White Sox winning 13 out of 18 games.
Alex Avila, who didn’t start, and Carlos Guillen, who hadn’t started in 11 days, were the heroes in this one. Serving as a pinch-hitter for just the second time this year, Avila hit a game-tying two-run homer off Sergio Santos in the ninth. Guillen homered in the second and delivered the go-ahead single in the 10th as part of a 3-for-5 days.
The comeback denied Dylan Axelrod a victory in his first major league start. He left with a 5-2 lead after striking out eight in six innings. Tigers starter Brad Penny gave up all five White Sox runs. Four of them were unearned, but it was Penny’s own error that preceded the runs.
Avila’s homer was his 19th and gave him 77 RBI on the season. Miguel Cabrera is the second Tiger expected to get some down-ballot MVP votes this year, but I’m not sure Avila isn’t more deserving. He’s played in 128 games this season and has a .919 OPS. The only primary catcher within even 100 points of OPS of him is Atlanta’s Brian McCann at .841.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)