Sep 15, 2011, 6:23 PM EST
Adrian Gonzalez, who exited Wednesday’s game against the Blue Jays with a calf injury after homering, is starting at first base and batting third as the Rays and Red Sox begin a crucial four-game series at Fenway Park on Thursday night.
The Red Sox lead the Rays by four games in the wild card race.
With Gonzalez and David Ortiz in there, there are no surprises in either team’s lineups. Ortiz missed Boston’s previous two games due to back spasms.
The Rays are using the same nine they did Wednesday with the exception of having Desmond Jennings back in the leadoff spot. He was given last night off.
Tonight’s game is one of two in the series in which the Rays would seem to have a big advantage when it comes to pitching matchups. They’ll throw Jeremy Hellickson (12-10, 2.96 ERA), while the Red Sox will counter with Kyle Weiland (0-1, 6.75 ERA). It’s a rematch of last Saturday’s game in St. Pete, which the Rays won 6-5 in 11 innings.
Here are the rest of the matchups:
Friday: James Shields (15-10, 2.70 ERA) vs. Josh Beckett (12-5, 2.49 ERA)
Saturday: Jeff Niemann (10-7, 3.97 ERA) vs. Jon Lester (15-7, 3.07 ERA)
Sunday: David Price (12-12, 3.34 ERA) vs. Tim Wakefield (7-6, 5.13 ERA)
As long as the Red Sox can win two out of four, they’ll be in great position with both teams having 10 games remaining. If the Rays can win three, then the last week and a half could get very interesting.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 2
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)