Sep 15, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Adrian Gonzalez, who exited Wednesday’s game against the Blue Jays with a calf injury after homering, is starting at first base and batting third as the Rays and Red Sox begin a crucial four-game series at Fenway Park on Thursday night.
The Red Sox lead the Rays by four games in the wild card race.
With Gonzalez and David Ortiz in there, there are no surprises in either team’s lineups. Ortiz missed Boston’s previous two games due to back spasms.
The Rays are using the same nine they did Wednesday with the exception of having Desmond Jennings back in the leadoff spot. He was given last night off.
Tonight’s game is one of two in the series in which the Rays would seem to have a big advantage when it comes to pitching matchups. They’ll throw Jeremy Hellickson (12-10, 2.96 ERA), while the Red Sox will counter with Kyle Weiland (0-1, 6.75 ERA). It’s a rematch of last Saturday’s game in St. Pete, which the Rays won 6-5 in 11 innings.
Here are the rest of the matchups:
Friday: James Shields (15-10, 2.70 ERA) vs. Josh Beckett (12-5, 2.49 ERA)
Saturday: Jeff Niemann (10-7, 3.97 ERA) vs. Jon Lester (15-7, 3.07 ERA)
Sunday: David Price (12-12, 3.34 ERA) vs. Tim Wakefield (7-6, 5.13 ERA)
As long as the Red Sox can win two out of four, they’ll be in great position with both teams having 10 games remaining. If the Rays can win three, then the last week and a half could get very interesting.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 13
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 34
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)