Sep 15, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Adrian Gonzalez, who exited Wednesday’s game against the Blue Jays with a calf injury after homering, is starting at first base and batting third as the Rays and Red Sox begin a crucial four-game series at Fenway Park on Thursday night.
The Red Sox lead the Rays by four games in the wild card race.
With Gonzalez and David Ortiz in there, there are no surprises in either team’s lineups. Ortiz missed Boston’s previous two games due to back spasms.
The Rays are using the same nine they did Wednesday with the exception of having Desmond Jennings back in the leadoff spot. He was given last night off.
Tonight’s game is one of two in the series in which the Rays would seem to have a big advantage when it comes to pitching matchups. They’ll throw Jeremy Hellickson (12-10, 2.96 ERA), while the Red Sox will counter with Kyle Weiland (0-1, 6.75 ERA). It’s a rematch of last Saturday’s game in St. Pete, which the Rays won 6-5 in 11 innings.
Here are the rest of the matchups:
Friday: James Shields (15-10, 2.70 ERA) vs. Josh Beckett (12-5, 2.49 ERA)
Saturday: Jeff Niemann (10-7, 3.97 ERA) vs. Jon Lester (15-7, 3.07 ERA)
Sunday: David Price (12-12, 3.34 ERA) vs. Tim Wakefield (7-6, 5.13 ERA)
As long as the Red Sox can win two out of four, they’ll be in great position with both teams having 10 games remaining. If the Rays can win three, then the last week and a half could get very interesting.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)