Sep 15, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Alex Rodriguez may be back in the Yankees’ lineup as soon as tomorrow night after not playing since September 9, but general manager Brian Cashman revealed that the team expects his thumb injury to linger for the rest of the season and into the playoffs.
Here’s what Cashman told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York:
He’s got a Grade 1 sprain and it’s not going to go away completely this season. It only goes away with time, which is not something that’s necessarily in our favor. It’s a sprained collateral ligament and it’s more of an irritating thing than anything else. It could take six days, or 15 days, or 30 days, and even if he feels 100 percent, one wrong move or one bad swing or checked swing or dive or whatever could bring it right back to square one again. It’s just something he’s going to have to deal with.
Rodriguez initially suffered the thumb injury on August 24, shortly after returning from the disabled list following back surgery, and has played just nine of 24 games since then while hitting .226 (although he has managed two homers and a solid .866 OPS). He’ll fall short of 30 homers and 100 RBIs for the first time since 1997 and Rodriguez’s current .842 OPS is the lowest of his career.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)