Can we not do this whole Logan Morrison-for-Ozzie Guillen thing, please?

Sep 15, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen Getty Images

Here we go again…

SI.com’s Jon Heyman:

if im reinsdorf im offering ozzie for logan morrison. over-rated, contract-obsessed manager for promising OF. good deal

ESPN Radio clown Jim Bowden:

Logan Morrison files a grievance against the Marlins…does this help set the path for a Morrison for Ozzie Guillen trade?

The funny thing is that if the Marlins made such a trade, it’d be because of Morrison’s big mouth. And there’s maybe just one character in baseball with a bigger mouth than Morrison…

But it’s ridiculous speculation, and it’s never going to happen. Morrison is a 24-year-old with a .263/.354/.457 line and 21 homers in 665 major league at-bats. He’s five seasons away from free agency, and it’s not a stretch to suggest he could be worth $50 million in those five seasons, all while getting paid maybe 60 percent of that. He’s not getting traded for a manager. The end.

1. singingfriar - Sep 15, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Jon Heyman said something asinine? I’m shocked.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Actually, I hear that Heyman thinks the Marlins are after a mystery manager.

• CJ - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM

…and a mystery team is pursuing Guillen. Coincidence? I think not.

3. sknut - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I get that there is a lot of competion and writers like to throw stuff at the wall, but really use common sense people. You lose credibility when you throw crap like this out.

Of course Heyman didn’t have any to begin with.

• Old Gator - Sep 15, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I dunno – Heyman has a lot of credibility when he’s pimping clients of Scott Boras.

But let’s remember who we’re dealing with. The Chihuahua is known (and detested) for stalking through the clubhouse and taking aside players, especially young ones, he finds irksome and browbeating them with threats of being sent down to Parchman Farm. It’s unfortunate that as the long shadow of Dave Dombrowski has receded and left Larry Beinfest’s reputation for rule 5 and scrapheap pickup wizardry shivering in the cold light of reality, and the once-proud farm system stocked largely with indentured mediocrities, that Beinfest has been sounding more and more like his Lilliputian suzerain – and more and more like the vocalization of the silent snarl of Scrooge McLoria himself. This is a front orifice that canned Joe Girardi, who arguably got more mileage out of less talent than any manager since George Stallings, for telling Scrooge McLoria to stop baiting umpires from his little throne in the field boxes.

So although no one hopes more than me than all this Slobbering Ozzie-for-Tweeter bumpf has nothing to it but the usual spowrts tawlk raydeeo balloon air hype behind it, this is one group of tinpot martinets and factotums whose capacity for sheer preening self-indulgent idiocy I am not quite prepared to write off completely…yet.

4. pisano - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:33 AM

The confusion is people think the trade is Ozzie for Logan Morrison, but in reality the trade would be Ozzie for Jim (Mr. Mojorisin) Morrison, in his present state. That would be a fair trade.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I hear it’s difficult to extradite from France

5. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:04 AM

While twittering rather than actually writing a column to spout this piece of nonsense shows a bit of slothfulness I don’t get all the Heyman hate.

6. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I just figured out Heyman’s source – He was looking at the topics in Hardball Talk and the Guillen story was right next to the Morrison filing a grievance story. This caused a synapse in Heyman’s brain to flip and the rest is History.

• CJ - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I thought his source was a cracker jack box, but yeah it’s probably one of the two.

If you don’t get the “Heyman hate” you must be fairly new here, or otherwise ignore his nonsense. Just wait until the offseason, he’ll make a donkey of his self at least a dozen and a half times. And if that’s the line set in Vegas, I’ll take the over, please and thank you.

• purnellmeagrejr - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Yeah, I’ve figured out this the He Man Heyman Haters Club – I think sometimes he has good information and sometimes he doesn’t – sometimes makes sense and sometimes he doesn’t. I think he’s too much of a Yankee guy – but that’s what sports discussions are built on.

7. Detroit Michael - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I don’t think the Randy Winn for manager Lou Piniella trade worked out very well for Tampa Bay.

8. CJ - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I protest! It would be much more entertaining for Morrison and Guillen to be on the same team.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet