Sep 15, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
Manipulative headline? Involving something to which I have an emotional connection? Moi? Why, I never. But decide for yourself:
Chevrolet employees have volunteered to maintain the old Tiger Stadium playing field for use by youth baseball teams, but the offer was spurned by the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., where officials want to keep the property open for a future big-box retailer.
As we’ve noted before, people have flocked to the lot that once held Tiger Stadium and have, on the sly, tried their best to maintain the playing field, which is still able to be made out following the ballpark’s demolition. People mow the grass. Play pickup games there. Take pictures. Reminisce.
The development commission which owns the property, however, has tried to keep people off. Which is understandable from a property rights perspective. But now they’re thwarting cool ideas too.
As the linked article notes, there is hope that the land can be developed by big box retailers. I suppose any economic development in Detroit would be a good thing. But the best thing? The nicest thing? The thing that might actually bring joy to people in a way that some retailer selling plastic crap can’t?
Well, I won’t answer that. I’d hate to stack the deck in this argument!
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)