Sep 15, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
Manipulative headline? Involving something to which I have an emotional connection? Moi? Why, I never. But decide for yourself:
Chevrolet employees have volunteered to maintain the old Tiger Stadium playing field for use by youth baseball teams, but the offer was spurned by the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., where officials want to keep the property open for a future big-box retailer.
As we’ve noted before, people have flocked to the lot that once held Tiger Stadium and have, on the sly, tried their best to maintain the playing field, which is still able to be made out following the ballpark’s demolition. People mow the grass. Play pickup games there. Take pictures. Reminisce.
The development commission which owns the property, however, has tried to keep people off. Which is understandable from a property rights perspective. But now they’re thwarting cool ideas too.
As the linked article notes, there is hope that the land can be developed by big box retailers. I suppose any economic development in Detroit would be a good thing. But the best thing? The nicest thing? The thing that might actually bring joy to people in a way that some retailer selling plastic crap can’t?
Well, I won’t answer that. I’d hate to stack the deck in this argument!
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (115)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)