Sep 15, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Manipulative headline? Involving something to which I have an emotional connection? Moi? Why, I never. But decide for yourself:
Chevrolet employees have volunteered to maintain the old Tiger Stadium playing field for use by youth baseball teams, but the offer was spurned by the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., where officials want to keep the property open for a future big-box retailer.
As we’ve noted before, people have flocked to the lot that once held Tiger Stadium and have, on the sly, tried their best to maintain the playing field, which is still able to be made out following the ballpark’s demolition. People mow the grass. Play pickup games there. Take pictures. Reminisce.
The development commission which owns the property, however, has tried to keep people off. Which is understandable from a property rights perspective. But now they’re thwarting cool ideas too.
As the linked article notes, there is hope that the land can be developed by big box retailers. I suppose any economic development in Detroit would be a good thing. But the best thing? The nicest thing? The thing that might actually bring joy to people in a way that some retailer selling plastic crap can’t?
Well, I won’t answer that. I’d hate to stack the deck in this argument!
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)